• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grin's WJ Build Thread

Troy/Chris

How is the visability inside?

Might be comparing apples and oranges between the ZJ and WJ, but the ZJ has excellent visibility. The windows all around are bigger than an XJ 4 door's.

But I'll point out - again - I'd never give up on the XJ for a trail rig. Cheaper and easier to modify and simply better looking when lifted/modified than the Grands. I've not seen a lifted/modified Grand that I'd want over an XJ.

If I were looking to get more power outta the trail rig, I'd go Frank's route of insanity and drop a V8 in the BOR rig LONG before I made a trail rig out of a Grand.

The only real downside to the WJ is that aftermarket bumpers are fawkin expensive because of all the angles needed to get them to fit and look right. Otherwise, not a whole lot of difference between modifying a WJ or XJ.

I thought this was a pretty slick method of utilizing a stock bumper, but with a swingout tire carrier based off the trailer hitch...

WJTIRECARRIER114.jpg

visibility is nice -- the WJ is appreciably bigger in every way, including axle width (63.5). The doors are heavier and there is lots more interior room. Mine will be a trail vehicle, but my XJ was only moderately built as well, so building this one in a similar manner shouldn't be a big deal.

I don't even want to know what you're searching for...

I was looking for cherokees and those popped up.. guess they would fit better under Troy's cus he is lowering his..

Those rims look like six align heads

I was looking for cherokees and those popped up.. guess they would fit better under Troy's cus he is lowering his..

Uh, yeah. When you start turning wrenches on YOUR OWN rig without a babysitter........... you can start busting me in the chops for how I modify mine....... junior. (insert flipoff smilie here) :moon:

:D

I see nothing being built here.......... just a bunch of shop talk :moon:

Uh, yeah. When you start turning wrenches on YOUR OWN rig without a babysitter........... you can start busting me in the chops for how I modify mine....... junior. (insert flipoff smilie here) :moon:

OUCH!:wow:

Ooooooo...... a BIZACH slap..... :gee:

On 4"? Chop, chop, Chris. Here is 285s on 6.5", WJ's do not take large tires well. Most WJ's don't go 285s until they hit 6".

IMG_1695.jpg

DJ - thanks for the pic, nice looking, really like the front bumper -- most WJ guys are at 6" for 33's cause they are pansy-asses and afraid to do a bit of trimming :laugh3: Odds are I'll get my 4" coils, and throw another 1" spacer on them to get to proper ride height, but I have always been a lift minimalist, so we'll see what I can get away with... OR, I'll buy some of the aftermarket flares available (pics earlier in the thread), and do it at 4"...

Yella, pipe down, I don't see the 5.9 throwing sparks yet either, and your thread's on page 3!!:twak:

Danny, put some ointment on that wound, Yella didn't mean to hit that hard :laugh3:

I have to wrap up some home projects (deck stain & tiling/remodeling 2 bathrooms) before I tear into her... hoping to borrow a spare car from my mon :doh: and have her on jackstands for most of November.

So are you wanting to do a triangulated 4-link in the rear?

You and I will have to figure out what will be easiest to fab -- do we make a crossmember to utilize the mounts on the JK axle, or do we modify the JK axle to accept a stock WJ rear "3 link" suspension... :dunno: still thinking and researching...

I just made a deal for a JK D44 (33spline) e-locked rear and matching JK HP D30 front. WOOT!:peace:

Aaaand... Just made a deal for some near-new 4" coils for less than 1/3 of retail - WOOT! :sunshine:

I just made a deal for a JK D44 (33spline) e-locked rear and matching JK HP D30 front. WOOT!

Aaaand... Just made a deal for some near-new 4" coils for less than 1/3 of retail - WOOT! :sunshine:

And, unspoken but a given, I've been chatting with Frank about some one-off "partZ" to complete the suspension and protect the rockers...

Just for reference, I put a 2.5 rustys coilover and shock setup on my GF's wj with 265s and had to trim the hell out of the front fenders. Didn't trim the back but should have as she flexed a bit on jenny creek and popped the fenders off.

She got lucky with no driveline vibrations which I was afraid of with the AWD.

looks pretty sweet though...

_MG_0191.jpg

cool. Mine will no longer be AWD (except when I choose it - swapping in a NP242), but yeah, I've read that 265's on 2" is a bit excessive without cutting...

Back