• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm ba-aaaaaaack!

Tons eh, gonna be a street queen or are we going to actually get you to do some real wheeling again? :D

Penrose this spring?

Too early for predictions.......

I'll want a few trails back under my belt before jumping right into Penrose. Not really equipped for Penrose....A cage of some sort, mini boat sides, better/more appropriate wheels, tube bumpers with better anchor points at a minimum.

With all my other interests.... not a lot of funds to just go nuts on this rig. Will be used mainly to re-inject 'wheeling into my system and maybe build on it, maybe squash it all together. :dunno:

I'm already behind my "schedule" by not having run the 'Vic around a road course by now. If that takes off.... I'll be content to let the GC sit and wait for my interest pendulum to swing.....

From the looks of it, I'm probably going to have to bury my issue with Facebook and get an account - seems that's where most of NAXJA's activity is focused now.......?

Ha. No. The Colorado naxja page is long dead. Posts every week or every other week from people.
Come to montrose. Talk to ledly, he loved the trails out here and they are easy to get to and fun to run. Some were fun but a touch of challenge, others would require bigger setups or at least another rig with him on his set up. I know a few folks want to come this way for a run come spring.

Ha. No. The Colorado naxja page is long dead. Posts every week or every other week from people.
Come to montrose. Talk to ledly, he loved the trails out here and they are easy to get to and fun to run. Some were fun but a touch of challenge, others would require bigger setups or at least another rig with him on his set up. I know a few folks want to come this way for a run come spring.

Yep, I might see if I can stop to/on the way from EJS this year.

Spring Creek would be a decent and close trail for you to hit. You can make it easy, or take some harder lines.

Yep, I might see if I can stop to/on the way from EJS this year.

Spring Creek would be a decent and close trail for you to hit. You can make it easy, or take some harder lines.

Yep, Spring Creek is likely the first I'll hit to get acquainted with this rig. Would love to get that done before the the snow piles up.... we just have several things going on through this month into November that weekend time is pretty planned out right now.

...Not really equipped for Penrose....A cage of some sort, mini boat sides, better/more appropriate wheels, tube bumpers with better anchor points at a minimum....

I bet Little Dirty and I could get it through* as is.

*Slight body damage possible....;)

Gawd....... $371 to have a "quality" catalytic converter put on in place of the rotten Flowmaster 40 the previous owner had put in place of the cat. $270 for just the part! And this is the CHEAP muffler shop. Had quotes from other shops close to $600! When did cat converters get so expensive???

At least the cat made the exhaust quieter than with the Flowmaster..... still sounds like a farm truck but trying to shoehorn a muffler under there was gonna require a whole new exhaust system configuration.

Now, on to chasing down the CEL issue, bleed the spongy brakes, swap the tires onto wheels with proper width, get the air bag light turned off..... and pray the damn thing passes emissions.

THEN maybe I can get it on a trail or two. :rolleyes:

Hard trails will have to wait until I can buy the Clayton belly skid, or build one myself....and clock the t-case. Gotta protect that expensive cat and the t-case. Oh and cut off that hideous tow hitch that's welded to that ugly rear bumper....and, and, and...... lol.

Nice ZJ! Reminiscent of my old one... Didnt have 1tons, becuase I never got to build a cage- figured 37-40" tires would ve silly with out a cage. Hell, wouldve liked a cage with 35s labd lockers.

Love that V8 rumble tho... I had thorley headers to flowmaster and it was sexxxxy! Didnt have emissions in NM though.

Exhuast prices have def gone up here in CO... All the jys cut the cats off making it harder to find.

Cant wait to see this BEAST in its natural habitat! Really liked the all 4 corners coiled over leafs in the back of the XJ as far as flex- the v8 in 4low was just a good time too lol

D60 front question.....

Noticed that the right front hub is loose on the housing. All 6 hub Allen screws are tight but I can grab the hub housing and it seems to float and can be moved up/down/side to side.

Is this normal? The left hub does this too but barely.

Does this have to do with the hub nuts inside?

The hub lock, or the hub itself?

Warn hublocks? Sounds like it might not be indexed correctly? Usually they're pretty tight to hub. There's an o ring on there to seal out water and dirt so really it should be snug.

D60 front question.....

Noticed that the right front hub is loose on the housing. All 6 hub Allen screws are tight but I can grab the hub housing and it seems to float and can be moved up/down/side to side.

Is this normal? The left hub does this too but barely.

Does this have to do with the hub nuts inside?

You mean the lockout?

Mine aren't on there tight (since that makes turning the lockout next to impossible), but mine definitely don't move at all.

The warn hubs. Whatever those 6 allen head screws go into is loose I'm guessing.

Is that because the hub nuts are needing tightened?

Finally found a vid on youtube. It's for a Chevy D60 but I'm guessing the hubs are very similar.

I answered my question about the hub nuts.... the driving hub (that the hub lock mounts to with the 6 screws) is ahead of the hub nuts and held in by snap rings, one on the shaft, one around the inside of the wheel hub. So, I'm guessing its a snap ring issue of some sort.

These are brand new locking hubs, installed by a shop in Estes Park shortly before I purchased it.

Last edited:
You scaring me Troy! I thought you knew how to work on this old-style equipment.

You scaring me Troy! I thought you knew how to work on this old-style equipment.

Ha..... Used to have an OEM shop manual grade knowledge of most XJ/MJ stuff but playing with the made to fit, fabricated stuff has always been a learning venture. Never had a D60 before and only once did I have to repair the D44 front hubs on Truggy.

This knowledge stuff is perishable if you don't stay immersed in it..... :looney:

Back