• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

toyota 4 runner

MauriceGOL

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My friend is thinking about selling his XJ for a newer 4 Runner like 98-01. If anyone could please tell me as much info to bash these things as possible I would greatly appreciate it. Stuff about suspension engine, drive train. pleasew give me all the negative info that you know.
Greg

98's and newer are automatic shift only. They also got rid of the electric locker for the rear. They were available w/ 4.10 or 4.56 gears stock! IFS front suspension is pricey to lift but way smoother than XJ's. It's just more refined than a Jeep. My buddy has a 97 w/ 4" and 33's and it is a looker. All and all, nice if you can afford em. Just auto's now and all kinds of abs, traction control, blah, blah......trying to compete w/ Land Rovers. Sorry, I didn't have much to bash.

PLATZIE

Since this thread does not pertain to modifying an XJ or MJ, it has been moved. This seemed to be the appropriate place for it.

Sorry.

Well it depends on what your buddy wants to do with his SUV, if he has money, money can make just about anything into a serious rockcrawler. Add lockers and gears big tires and go, it might roll a couple times, get dented really good, but it's a toy and a comfortable one at that.

My brother-in-law has an 86' 4Runner, with a solid axle conversion. I support him, birfields and all, I'm sorry to tell you, XJ's are great rigs, but they are not the only ones out there.

So what's wrong with a 4-runner? Any particular reason you don't want your friend to buy a Toyota? Its a jeep thing right?

aplatz said:
98's and newer are automatic shift only. They also got rid of the electric locker for the rear. They were available w/ 4.10 or 4.56 gears stock! IFS front suspension is pricey to lift but way smoother than XJ's. It's just more refined than a Jeep. My buddy has a 97 w/ 4" and 33's and it is a looker. All and all, nice if you can afford em. Just auto's now and all kinds of abs, traction control, blah, blah......trying to compete w/ Land Rovers. Sorry, I didn't have much to bash.

PLATZIE

Platzie, a guy in my club has a '99 or '00(pretty sure '00) with a 5 speed and factory locker. Also has the TRD supercharger. He himself has added a bit of lift, a leaf sprung 44 up front and 35 MTRs. I'll try to come up with some pictures. BTW, a lot of people around here would shoot me for saying this, but if I could afford to wheel a toyota, I probably would.

Ary

I would take a 4-runner over an XJ any day as a light wheeler/ Daily Driver. Superior drivetrain, NVH, refinement, comfort, ride quality, handling, fit and finish.

Even if I was to build a full tilt off-road rig, I would rather start with the Runner. The 8.0" rear end is very stout, E-lockers are available all the way to 2002, and can handle up to 38's. Yes the IFS is not great, but it's a wash when you consider that it's just as expensive to add a good front axle to a Cherokee. Frame is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH easier to add custom suspension mounts to, and more robust in design in the rear cargo area.

The 4 cam 3.4 is a dream, and with the Toyota supercharger ($1750) it is a screaming animal. 275 hp and 305 ft lbs of torque is awesome, in my view.

The transmissions in XJ's and 4 runners are identical, so it's a wash there.

Have you actually ever been in a Runner?

Remind me again why he shouldn't buy a Runner????????????

CRASH...........Shopoping for a 4 runner for wifey......

If your friend were to ever, say, take it out on the beach in Nantucket, it would be a lot cooler to have an XJ than a Toyota. Besides, it would be better if he had the same Jeep as his friends, right?

I have to agree with most of the others; there is little to bash about the 4-runner. If its a Jeep thing that makes ya want to talk him out of it, tell him to at least take a look at the newer Grand Cherokee (WJ) before he makes a final decision. I wasn't too thrilled with getting the wife her WJ, but at least it was a Jeep. Now the thing is kinda growing on me, if ya know what I mean. :D

Greg, just get your XJ in business and get Peter to come wheeling with us. It's a Jeep thing, let's make him understand! :D
My roommate and I are planing on Uwharrie in Nov. You down?

Back