• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lockers?

navyblue123

NAXJA Forum User
I have always just turned it on at the start of the trail and leave it on all the way until I’m done. Is it ok to do that or should I turn it on only when I need it and then turn it off as soon as I’m over the obstacle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A reae locker shouldn't hurt. I've heard some argue you may as well give it all the help it can get, making it easier on the drive train.

A front locker on all the time will not be to fun once you start turning. Ide not recommend doing this if you have one, more stress on u joints when it's unnecessary.

What kind of lockers are you running?

I was just concerned if having it on the for the entire trail would be extra hard on the drive train or if it was ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could have been a Dana 35 or Chryco 8.25. Do you have ABS?

For what it's worth I run a lunchbox in my front axle. So when in 4wd it's always engaged. I drive gravel roads in 4Hi all the time. No issues. But I'm not running big tires either.

I also run an arb. I only use it when I need it though. There's definitely pros/cons of driving characteristics to having it on always. If you are unfamiliar, you may want to read up on how your vehicle will behave with the locker engaged on slopes, slants, ascending,descending, and slick surfaces.

I don't think there's any harm in running with it always on, "mechanically" anyway, you'll just be asking the compressor to maintain the lockers operating psi longer. The compressor will kick on every now and then if psi drops.

You'll be stressing the axle shafts and u joints more every tight turn . If the surface is not slippy you will stress the parts more on turns . A Detroit technically does not lock in these situations the same as a ... spool... which is what your arb is technically when locked . I would not lock the front in unless needed and certainty turn it off on tight turns with high traction . The front locked makes for a heavy front feel with stock steering, but it's your ... rear... locker that actually cuts down how tight you can turn as it causes under steer as it tends to drive you in a straight line .

I have not had any adverse effects from locking front and rear and staying that way till I'm off trail. I run OX's front and rear with hydro assist. I also might add that I have a Dana 44 rear stock axles and a polished turdy up front.

Back