• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starboard M builds a Cafe Racer

is the master fresh and lines fresh too or no?
with fresh parts it takes FOREVER to bleed em. i HATED new brake stuff just cuz bleeding would seem to take hours and hours to get just right

is the master fresh and lines fresh too or no?
with fresh parts it takes FOREVER to bleed em. i HATED new brake stuff just cuz bleeding would seem to take hours and hours to get just right

Stock MC, new lines. The lines are a ~3' line from MC to right caliper, then a 2" line from right to left caliper. I sat there for 5 minutes pumping away at the handle, with no improvement. Feels like Im pulling a bicycle brake.

which are you bleeding first?

Tried the farthest from the MC, then the closest. Then gave up on the bleeders and just tried to pump the lever. Nothing on all accounts.

I gave up, so maybe tomorrow I can figure it out. Maybe I have a clog? Ill try a different banjo bolt on the MC as well. I did change that to a brake switch banjo, so that might be causing my issues?
:confused:

should be the banjo that looks like a ball if i remember right.......

try unmounting the calipers to bleed and keep them in a gradual downill fashion. bleed to the first caliper then bleed to the second. just toss a lil something in between the pads for them to squeeze. is it the little dinky plastic res or is the res metal and built into the master? time for a brembo 16x8 master?? :D

Got the lines bled. I was just pissed last night and wasnt thinking right.

I needed to pump the brake lever another 100 times, and bleed pressure out of the closest caliper, then move on to the other farther one. I also zip tied the brake lever tight so it would gravity bleed, that seemed to help a bit also.

Now Im off to tune the bike. This should prove to be interesting. :scared:

So its a CL that they turned into a CB. Whats funny, is those bikes are worth 2-3 times more than mine. Similar to an XJ compared to a TJ.

Got the bike running today. Hooked the carb tunner up to it, and I was pretty dang close. Not bad for my first time bench syncing some carbs.
Brakes are a huge improvement, but not quite as good as they can get. Ill be upgrading the fronts hopefully sooner rather than later.

Bike still runs a bit odd. Ive got a message out to a guy who lives around me who has rebuilt a lot of these bikes, so maybe he can help me tune it, or make it run better.

Only major issue I have is when I got onto I25, the grooving in the pavement made the bike weave all over the place. Felt like the rear tire was about to fly off. Is this normal? :eek:

Also, side note. No one likes me. :roflmao:Harley guy wouldnt look at me, he was too interested in sipping on his beverage he got out of his cup holder in between his stereo and AC.
Rolled up on two nice cafed BMWs, either would look at me. Two guys on crotch rockets ignored me as well. :laugh2:

Oh well. People wave at me all the time in my Jeep, and I ignore them. Guess Ill be doing the same, but with the "bike wave."

YA the grooving is gonna cause that. best not to fight itt and just let the bike wiggle a lil bit - takes some getting used to.

as far as other bikers. Eff em. Most of em are douchers or cant ride worth a shit anyway. And gotta love the harley guys. "I ride harleys, they are american made - soo poop on you and your import."
funny thing is Harleys best selling bike was buikt by porsche :D

YA the grooving is gonna cause that. best not to fight itt and just let the bike wiggle a lil bit - takes some getting used to.

as far as other bikers. Eff em. Most of em are douchers or cant ride worth a shit anyway. And gotta love the harley guys. "I ride harleys, they are american made - soo poop on you and your import."
funny thing is Harleys best selling bike was buikt by porsche :D
Im going to recheck everything in the back end, just to make sure its all tight. It was just extremely disconcerting to have it wiggle around that much. Felt like the rear end was going to fall off. I guess its one of those things that you have to get used to?

The Harley guys are funny, they are bad asses, but they have more amenities on their bike than I do on my Jeep. That, and I dont really fit into a "group". Old jap bike, with a full face and non leather jacket.

Depends on the Harley really. The fanciest bike out of fmy friend's Harleys is a FatBoy whose only real luxury is a throttle lock that can be used as a sort of cruise control. The most decked out Harley I've seen still doesn't compare to a loaded GoldWing or BMW.

Depends on the Harley really. The fanciest bike out of fmy friend's Harleys is a FatBoy whose only real luxury is a throttle lock that can be used as a sort of cruise control. The most decked out Harley I've seen still doesn't compare to a loaded GoldWing or BMW.

This.

I'm not a biker, but ya can't really generalize "Harley guys" as ones with full dress road bikes. Lots of 'em out there riding hard tail bobbers, choppers and such.

I think I've heard of full-dress Harley/Gold Wing guys as "Baggers" because of the saddle bags and all the storage on those bikes...... :dunno:

I think of them as old-farts and retirees.

Here is the Harley I've been dreaming of, hopefully this coming spring I'll finally be able to snag one.
Harley-Davidson-Forty-Eight.jpg

Its the Sportster 48 and is pure tits IMHO. Its the exact style of bike I love, and a 1200 V-twin on a little sportster is plenty quick too. I've spent hours in the nearby Harley Dealer just sitting on them. I can't wait to actually be able to buy it.

I like everything about that Sportster 48...... except the balloon front tire. What's up with that? :dunno:

I like everything about that Sportster 48...... except the balloon front tire. What's up with that? :dunno:

Then obviously you don't understand the point of the bike.

The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that the tank only holds 2gal of fuel. Granted that still gives you a rangoe of over 100miles but it would still be nice to have a an extra gallon for longer jaunts. I have read that you can get a 3gal "Peanut" tank for them though, add in that and some black pipes w/ exhaust wrapping on them and you've got yourself the perfect vintage bobber that has all the niceties (fuel injection, 5spd, soft tail, etc) of a modern bike.

Last edited:
Then obviously you don't understand the point of the bike.

The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that the tank only holds 2gal of fuel. Granted that still gives you a rangoe of over 100miles but it would still be nice to have a an extra gallon for longer jaunts. I have read that you can get a 3gal "Peanut" tank for them though, add in that and some black pipes w/ exhaust wrapping on them and you've got yourself the perfect vintage bobber that has all the niceties (fuel injection, 5spd, soft tail, etc) of a modern bike.
I dont like the small look of that tank on that big of a bike. I also dont like how they sit on the frame. Just looks like an afterthought. Black exhaust wrap, and thats one sexy bike.

I wish I could afford a Harley, but spending $20,000+ on a bike its a bit out of my budget. The Sportsters are the best looking HD, but holy smokes they want a lot of coin for them.

Back