• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TwoWheelTalk

Well just ordered a a -7 rear sprocket for the wr. Think that'll let me use it more reasonably on the street. I might even use first and second gear.

Applied some Tech-Spec pads to the tank and saddle bags. Figured they would prevent scratches and rock chips pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, on the tank I'm more worried about my riding pants scratching the paint. Plus, the added grip should be advantageous when carving the canyons.

I'm not sure how much I like the look on the saddle bags though, luckily they're easily removable. I'll leave them on for a bit and maybe swap out to a simple 3M clear bra material later. There are some pretty good kits out there for the bike. I can almost clear bra the entire thing.

After selling my xj i felt good about getting rid of one project and decided to start selling off some other things i didnt really need. A month or two ago i sold my 83 honda cx650, which was a one year only US bike that has a motoguzzi style v-twin, shaft drive and is water cooled. The bike was sort of cool but was so ugly and needed so changing for me to not feel completely gay riding it.

I also had a 1981 yamaha xs650 that had a pre-USD gsxr fork conversion, custom spoked wheels by woodys, custom tank that i stretched and added knee cutouts to, and was in the process of doing a monoshock conversion to. My friend chris sold a couple of his projects and talked me into selling him my bike so he could finish it because i was taking too long haha.

I had planned on waiting till next spring and saving up enough cash to go out and buy a new bike after researching/riding a bunch of different models and settling on exactly what i wanted. But i started realizing i would never be happy for long on a bone stock bike and with a sock droor full of cash i started browsing craigslist in my spare time.

A couple weeks ago i went and looked at a k100 and ended up buying it! The good thing is i talked the PO down on the price and was able to buy it and still have some $$ left over from selling my other bikes. Here it is at sloans lake the night i bought it.

14500714442_6e2a7b8990_b.jpg

If you dont know anything about k100s....its a bmw with a fuel injected 1000cc motor that is pretty much a bmw 4cyl car motor on its side. It has a single sided swingarm, monoshock, and is shaft driven. Pretty far ahead of most other bikes being produced in the 80s!

Ive been riding it for about 3 weeks now and its a really fun bike to ride, ive found a few of its shortcomings that i hope to improve upon over the next few months and over the winter months for some of the bigger projects. I changed out the beach cruiser bars this week for some daytona style bars that let me stretch my long ass arms out a little more, and taken off a few little things here and there.

I made a trip over to woody's wheel works today and picked up a set of wheels off of a newer bmw k1200! The stock wheels on my bike are 2" wide in the front and 2.5" wide in the rear and my new k1200 wheels are 17x3.5" in the front and 17x5" in the rear.

Right now my bike has a 100/80/18 in the front and a 130/90/17 in the rear... but with these new wheels ill be able to run a 120/70/17 in the front and a 170/60/17 in the rear.

14343130270_a719beb4dd_b.jpg

Not only will my bike handle better with modern sized radial tires, but it will stop better with the 320mm dual disc setup on the front, and look pretty badass with the new rims!

How many bikes have you all bought and sold while I was gone?

Still have wr. Put smaller sprocket on and rode up to cripple creek and down old stage/gold camp area. 134 miles. 1.2 gallons. Woop.

Besides swapping the Vulcan out for the Concours 14 I haven't bought/sold any.

I did have fun on the TTR this weekend. Did my first wheelie and got it up to 60 on the dirt.

Coming back from WY

Wheelies are fun :D
Going riding with some serious dirt riders today so hopefully I don't get my ass kicked too bad.

I went. I rode. I conquered. Then I bent a valve( I think)
Bike is at my buddies waiting to be torn down and then fixed. Then I'm putting it up til I sell it. Have a new project in mind. Woot.

How much you thinking? I might be interested. I think it would be a good interim bike until I can afford a KLX250S

2$?? Sold, I'll come get it tonight. :D

I'm assuming that's the price after you fix the engine. I'll probably have to pass, still too rich for this poor man's blood.

Ya after fixed. The non plated ones that need tires or small stuff are like 17-18 so it's about right nk for the market.

Sounds fair, I'll probably have to wait until winter or next spring to get something else.

Back