• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TwoWheelTalk

I would do the EFI as that would be the main things I am looking for. EFI and elec start. Cant put elec start on mine.

Well, my 450 is all put back together and some minor issues have been fixed. I'm ready to ride. I may go bump around Grant, or Idaho Springs, maybe just Slaughterhouse today.

Definitely up for a ride this weekend. Sure wish Rampart was open.

I would do the EFI as that would be the main things I am looking for. EFI and elec start. Cant put elec start on mine.

Can you put efi on yours? I honestly wouldn't worry about the carb at all. Electric start is very nice though.

Well, my 450 is all put back together and some minor issues have been fixed. I'm ready to ride. I may go bump around Grant, or Idaho Springs, maybe just Slaughterhouse today.

Definitely up for a ride this weekend. Sure wish Rampart was open.

I'm leaving Saturday for In-N-Out and won't be back until Sunday.

Back in the day the hot set up for the rocky trails was a centrifugal clutch ,even the fast guys that rode the colorado 500 had then on the 600.s us Calif guys got our asses handed to us ;cause with out the cent clutch we kept stalling our bikes l ,i i was riding those mts now that a would be my first mod

Yeah, these days I think they're referred to as slipper clutches for the after market variants that you put into a dirt bike that would normally have a standard clutch.

Slipper clutches are cool but the tire hop on a hard down shift with a regular
Clutch makes it easier to back it into turns.

Home at last...

The ride over I-70 was pretty uneventful until we wound up riding through pretty bad rain from just past Grand Junction, CO all the way to Green River, UT. After fueling up in Green River we made our way to HWY-6 for our final leg into Provo/Orem, UT for our beloved In-N-Out. About 1-2miles down HWY-6 it started hailing on us, that turned into rain, and then into sleet. It was like this the entire way into Provo. The road literally had snow and slush on it, it was very scary and I tried my best to just stay in the tire tracks of the semi in front of us with hopes that his tracks would be the driest and most traction offering bit of pavement. We were completely soaked, freezing cold, and our nerves were wrecked from the weather. Finally however, we arrived.

Was it worth it? Yes, yes it was.

After the most delicious fast food burger in the world we stocked up on a bit of Utah's finest 3.2 beer and headed for a hotel.

While at the hotel we started to check on the weather and road conditions. We weren't planning on hitting snow that day and wanted to see what we were looking at facing the next day. Originally the plan was to go back on US-40 into Steamboat Springs and then across HWY-14 into Fort Collins. When we checked Friday there was only supposed to be rain and I-80 was supposed o be dry, so that was our alternate route. Well now there was snow on our primary route, and upon checking it seemed our alternate I-80 route was going to be snow covered as well.

With no other choice we got up a bit early and hit the road just before 7am in a southernly direction. The new plan was to ride hard all day and take advantage of warm southern weather to make it the almost 1000 miles to Albuquerque, NM.

The first stop was supposed to be in Beaver, UT :bunny: but I misjudged a bit and ran out of fuel about 20 miles away. My fuel light came on way earlier than normal and I figured it was being overly conservative. I thought I could make the 50 miles to Beaver :bunny: but sputtered out after only 30 miles. Luckily there was a fuel station a few miles back so the other two made their way back and snagged me 2 Mt Dew bottle worth of fuel, then I ran back to the same fuel stop and topped off the tank. After that delay, and freshly fueled up we just rode straight through to St George where we had In-N-Out for breakfast/lunch.

Out of fuel :(

Twice in 1 weekend? This trip was looking even better. :eyes:

After St George it was all business. We lost a lot of time when I ran myself out of fuel, and stopping at In-N-Out burned up even more. We hauled down to Vegas and filled up again in Henderson, CO. Then we stopped for fuel in Kingman, AZ after a short stint. That allowed us to ride all the way through to Flagstaff, AZ. From there we did 179 miles to Gallup, NM before the last stint into Albuquerque. We pulled into the hotel at 11:30pm, got a room, and then walked across the street to Denny's to eat. After our breakfast/lunch burger in St George we were running off of snicker's and granola bars so we were very hungry.

Took our time in the morning and rode the last 480 miles home today with horrible crosswinds the entire time.

Here is the basic route we wound up riding.

Google says 1952miles, but my trip odometer shows 2021.5 on it. Not bad for a 3 day stint with some pretty crappy weather.

So who wants to join us next year?

40 sucks to run no matter what with that wind. You shoulda ran up by 4corners dropping 550 into the montrose area and then shot over via the monarch pass. It's been in the 70's down there. A more fun ride and less craziness.
Looks fun. However I don't miss the trip to Vegas. Cedar city ways have me crap wind and weather. Looks awesome though.

I-40 was great other than road surface. It was I-25 that was a windy nightmare. Pretty much from Las Vegas, NM all the way home it was ridiculously windy and it was all cross winds.

We could have cut the corner but were wary of any more snow going over the Rockies. Staying as far south as possible seemed like the safer way to go.

Sounds like my trip out to KOH. I went down south through New Mexico to avoid the snow up by Vail....but it was some of the worst cross winds I've ever had the displeasure of towing through and mixed with icy roads. I was over that trip about 4 hours after I left home....sucked major balls!

Before:

After (but still in progress):

Still need to mount up the turns and wire it all up.

Spotted this bit of awesome yesterday..

20140504_174446_zps0rz0yfhk.jpg

20140504_174427_zpseopj8srt.jpg

well getting the WR ready to plate. Ordered up my banjo switch for rear light (its already dual filament and wired for the switch) and already have a mirror and horn. Hardest part will be finding a good and knobby DOT approved set of tires. Any suggestions.

I run a pirelli mt43 rear and a mt21 front on my X.

A dunlop 606 in the rear or pirelli mt16 are decent options for a true knobby style dot tire but they hook up like garbage. It really comes down to where you'll be riding, and what you'll be riding more of; tarmac or dirt.

There are situations where I really wish that mt21 hooked up a little better in the granite gravel at rampart but it's hard to argue with the performance on the road. The MT43 is sweet.. Little to no compromise on tarmac or dirt but it's a trials style tire.

I've been through a lot of sets of tires. I like my current set up the best. There is no perfect tire for DS/Enduro.

the 43 is way to street for me but the 21 looks about right for what I am looking for. I saw the 606 and felt the lugs were too big and would float/wash instead of biting and that's what I want to avoid. I could care less about street manners. Street time will be minimalized and I canhandle it on the street no problem.

I was leaning hard to the K760's since they are mostly dirt biased and are similar tread to what I have now, but with a DOT rating. Thanks for your info.

The 43 is a monster. Don't let the looks fool you. I have a lot more confidence about the 43 in the dirt than I do the 21. If I'm doing a full day of dirt with no tarmac I switch back to a totally dirt oriented knobby. I like IRC's volcanduros, soft and tall for grabbing rocks, roots, gravel, and hard pack.

Trials tires in the rear is where it's at IMO. I've ridden 18 years on the trails in Colorado. I'll never go back to a knobby.

Back