• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rubicon

cherokee Wheeler10

NAXJA Forum User
I was thinking about going up to the rubicon on this friday for my first time (90 cherokee 5 1/2 rubicon with a ford 8.8 and 4.56 gears) i was plaining on leaving folsom area around 8 am and being home by 5-6 pm anyone want to come??? can i do a couple hours in a then take the bypasses back out is it worth it??how long will it take me to get up there??? where will i find directions???

Check out delalbright.com

Del is the leader of Friends of the Rubicon and the President of Rubicon Trail Foundation (RubiconTrail.org). There are links to the Rubicon Trail home page with maps and directions. You should be able to do a loop going in at Wentworth Springs (easier) and coming out at Loon Lake (harder). The Gatekeeper at Loon Lake shouldn't be much of a test for your rig, just take your time.

The weather might turn on you so be prepared for anything.

is that loop hard,easy?? For my rig and novice driver??? and its do able in one day?? how long does it take to get to wentworth??? is the exit at loon lake easy to spot and what obsticles will i hit before i get to loon lake???

Last edited:
If you're a novice driver and have never been up there I suggest you go with someone who has run the trail. I've never been in through Wentworth Springs so I can't comment on it but if you did that loop the only mandatory obstacle on the way out would be Gate Keeper.

You can do the Con in 1 day, but for a newbie, you should really take your time and go with a group. I'm trying to get a group of my buds together soon to do the Con 1 more time this year before I wrap it up and go on some snow runs. I just bought a 85' CJ-7 buggy and I'm probably going to have to trailer this thing around, so I would like to get out soon before my 10 days since I bought it are up and I need to get it registered/off the road. Definately try to get a group going for your 1st time bud, the Con is fun, but better in a small group. My Wrangler broke down on Fordyce last weekend and it was nice being in a group and being able to be towed off the trail.

I came out of the Con this last clean-up through Wentworth. I was expecting a nice, easy, graded gravel road to the pavement from what I've read. Boy was I suprised. It was fairly difficult at times, and if you weren't sure where you were going, you could definitely get lost on the open slab area (especially since you can see the Loon Lake dam and staging area). At one point I even opted for a, I'm ashamed to say it, a by-pass (a very legal by-pass) because I was tired and needed to get home (that's my story and I'm stickin' to it). I was suprised at how narrow some of the areas got, but then again, there are not very many (if any) full-widths coming through. Anyway, if you aren't familiar with the trail or the terrain, go with someone experienced. Are you locked?

it takes me about an hour to get to the spillway from Auburn, driving up through Georgetown. I don't know how long it would take going up 50.

are you locked? what size tires? I would highly recommend going with at least one other rig. Going in Wentworth, play at the granite bowl for a while, and out through Gatekeeper would be a decent little trip. Or the other way around. Catch a nice lunch at that should fit your time schedule.

I believe there are at least three legal bypasses along the Wentworth Spring stretch of the Rubicon. For a first timer on the Rubicon don't be ashamed to take the bypass. It'll leave something new for you to do your next time up.

Definitely go with someone who knows the way. The slabs are tricky if there isn't a good oil trail to follow.

cherokee Wheeler10 said:
well then is there anywhere up there to air up???? like at the camp ground????

There's air at Ice House Resort, that's the only place up there that I know of.

well i ended up going up with just my jeep and a buddy and we had a great time took allittle bit of time to get to the entrents and then we missed the turn to go to loon lake and did not notice till about 7 pm when we were about an hour past little suice (that look narley i missed the by pass and kinda went through a section of it) i dont think i used any by passes but when i finally ran into someone and found out i was way off i started heading back and did not get off the trail till about 11 pm but it was prettty fun and the jeep was very cappible i am not sure if i did all the hard parts but it did great ( a smashed tail light and acouple little dents in the below the door but it did great. next time i need to go with someone who knows the trail

cherokee Wheeler10 said:
well i ended up going up with just my jeep and a buddy and we had a great time took allittle bit of time to get to the entrents and then we missed the turn to go to loon lake and did not notice till about 7 pm when we were about an hour past little suice (that look narley i missed the by pass and kinda went through a section of it) i dont think i used any by passes but when i finally ran into someone and found out i was way off i started heading back and did not get off the trail till about 11 pm but it was prettty fun and the jeep was very cappible i am not sure if i did all the hard parts but it did great ( a smashed tail light and acouple little dents in the below the door but it did great. next time i need to go with someone who knows the trail

You'd know if you did any of the Little Sluice... there really are no "sections" - either you're in or out... anyway, glad you had some fun...

You would know if you went through Little Sluice, believe me bro. I know there was talk on blasting Little Sluice, but I think a vote needs to be done on it 1st. I'm glad you had a good time and didn't breakdown. The Rubicon is a beautiful trail, we have fight to keep it that way.
Troy

Back