• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Racing against the grain

Was that the original AT or the new AT3W?

They threw everything out and totally reengineered all of their tires a couple of years ago. Shocking difference.

I can't remember, but It was 2012 when I got them.

That would have been the old tire.

The new one is pretty fancy. I had them on my tow rig (removed when I went to the BI-877) and currently have them on my DD.

WILDPEAK-AT3W-Prodcut01-FalkenTyres.png

I can't comprehend how you could have worn a set out that fast.

Went the the Jeep Jamboree USA Gateway to the Cumberlands last weekend. Surpisingly an amazing time. Signed up for the two top trails and was not disappointed. Tough trails with lots of slider action. Working on a highlight video.

Now I'm loading back up on the trailer and doing a short course beater race at Dirty Turtle Offroad Park at the Boo Bash tomorrow night. Haven't touched a thing, because there's no need other than a once over.

did you ever get that video made ? the fat blue xj behind you on thunder road on the jamboree wanted to know. :)

That would have been the old tire.

The new one is pretty fancy. I had them on my tow rig (removed when I went to the BI-877) and currently have them on my DD.

WILDPEAK-AT3W-Prodcut01-FalkenTyres.png

I can't comprehend how you could have worn a set out that fast.

Yes definitely not those. Maybe my alignment was worse than I thought idk. Im sure it was mostly the jeeps fault.

Current situation. 35's on. ARB install at Carolina Axle next weekend and new rear driveshaft from the Driveshaft Shop in Concord, NC. Mini roadtrip sounds good to me.

Dropped her off at Carolina Axle to install a new ARB and a set of Rare Parts Diamond Series Ball Joints yesterday. I didn't know ball joints good look so good!

I was also informed that whoever geared my axle (about 3 years ago) did some sketchy stuff that should not have left the shop. Explains why my seals leaked almost immediately in retrospect and who knows if their hands lead to the diffs demise (D44 Rubi Locker). So I advise stay away from Jacksonville 4x4 in Jacksonville NC. Differentials are too expensive to risk it. But maybe they've changed.

Made some additions to the cage. Needed to go from B pillar straight back to help tie in the rear. Then threw in an accent piece with our A Arm bracket wing for the WJ we make.

Also got the rear tail light housings in. They are JCR and they didn't fit well at all. Lots of grinding to fit a 6" oval light on a housing that is made for a 6" oval light...:dunno:

Pro Rock Race at Windrock this weekend. Gotta keep landing a top 3 finish to guarantee a top 3 overall for the series. Finale is next month. Im just assuming the point system, I really have no idea how they keep track lol.

Lots to do this week. Raceprep is in full swing. Lots of late nights and pizza.

Last edited:
Final piece has been installed and we are ready to turn and burn tomorrow at Windrock.

Check out this awesome driveshaft by The Driveshaft Shop. This is a one of a kind CV High angle driveshaft design for 4x4 applications. Proud to be the first ever to take their final design into to the field for some real world abuse.

Also discovered and prevented an absolute front locker failure. Air line would of crashed at full compression. First jump would of been it for our fitting. Thanks to this high speed banjo style fitting, we did a sharp 90 on this guy and we're good to go.

Every single bolt has been checked and marked with a paint pin. Tools and recovery gear inventoried and race equipment checked. We need to bring the heat this weekend if we plan on taking this series. Its gonna be a huge event and qualify starts tomorrow evening. Shake n Bake :us:

What kind of angles can that drive shaft support?

35 degree 113mm CV is what they say. More than what I need. The main benefit is that there is zero bind so its constant uninterrupted torque being applied to the wheels. So you don't get that tire speed up and slow down thing from the joints binding.

I'll be interested to see how that driveshaft holds up.

Good luck at the race!

I was asking Adam @ The Driveshaft Shop about that. He was telling me they build for drag cars and drift cars etc.... I am also interested to see how it holds up to off road racing.

I report good news. Landed 2nd place. Zero failures other than blowing a tire. We were fast and loud. She ran beautifully. The 35s and more travel made a huge difference. It was a crazy muddy course that stretched 7 miles up and down the hills of Windrock. One of the more fun races I've been to to-date. Looking forward to the final race next month at Rush Offroad Park in Rush, KY.

Driveshaft is intact.

Best Co-Driver award goes to mine. Alex had to slide down the final hill before the finish in order for us to officially finish.

Last race of the season is next weekend September 14th. Have two KM2s inbound and race prep has begun yet again. Might be relocating the spare tire mount to over the bumper to help distribute weight. Lots to do so little time.

Found out I'm currently officially holding down 2nd place overall. Its down to Zman and I to decide who is taking 1st overall next weekend.

This has been one crazy journey regardless.

LktkfXNh.png

Back