• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine swap prep work

tinyNHxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone, I am going to be doing the swap soon, and still narrowing down the setup I want.

Right now I have the NP229, is there any reason to swap this out? It was available on the Grand Wagoneers with the V8, so it should not be a problem with something larger than the stock 2.5L that is in front of it now, but I'm not sure yet.

I think right now my fallback position is the 350 + 700r4 combo. I've been talking to AdvanceAdapters about the motormounts & adaptors already, and they are very helpful.

I really want a ford 302 in there though. I found a fantastic write up on a 302 into a CJ (http://www.bc4x4.com/ChrisW/projects/powertrain/powertrain.asp) but have been unable to track down whether an adaptor exists for a 302 to 700R4.

Any suggestions on an automatic tranny for the 302? C5?

I am looking for a wrecked exploder, maybe one of those firestone rollovers, and think it would be best to take the engine/tranny/TC and all the wiring from that.

I also think if I find one with the 3.8L V6, I would definately consider putting that in. I currently have that engine in my daily driver (stang) and know it can be slightly modified to over 200hp and near 200ft lbs of torque, which would be very nice in my XJ.

One area of concern right now is the exhaust. How in the world do you put a crossover tube in there? It doesn't appear that there is any room anyplace to make this happen. Can anybody with the LT1/LS1 swap post some pictures of their exhaust setup?

Also, If I can find the exploder, I think it would be a good idea to take the brake booster. What braking system upgrades has everyone with a V8 swap done?

I've been shying away from going FI, but talking to Novak Conversions has made it appear that FI is not only something that can be done, but probably a better idea than carburated.

:anon:

Last edited:
Ok I have not done the 302 swap yet but have done some research on it. My thinking was an AOD for a 302 swap. There is an adapter out there for the AOD to 231 b/c this swap is getting real popular in YJ's and TJ's. The 302 has been done in an XJ and Z and M was working on one and an engine mount for that swap. Z and M specializes in 302 swaps in Wranglers. http://www.zandm.com/ I was not aware that the Explores had a 3.8L in them. I have only seen the 4.0 V-6 that is in the Rangers. I would not use the Explorer drivetrain bc the T/C is an allwheel drive unit with out low range. The route I am looking into is a Bronco drivetrain 88-96. The 88 and up FI 5.0 are easyer to swap I hear. Ford even makes a swap book that is actually geard towards the Hot Rod crowd. Nice book I have it. Has real nice wire diagrams and other useful info. The wheel base on the Bronco is around 99" and our XJ is 101" I also like the idea of using the BW T/C even though it is electric. All you have to do is run wires and not fabricate or get fabricated linkage adapters. That is my thoughts on it if HTH! If you do it let me know how it goes. I have a 5.0 and AOD for the swap but it is a 85 and I want a 88-96 one. Good luck!

Great info.

The Explorer V6, is actually a 4.2L, same as the 6 in the F150. It's the same block as the 3.8L in the mustang.

Any info on the swap book? Where did you pick it up, ISBN numbers?

Thanks for the heads up on the Explorer TC. I will also look into the Broncos and other Full Size trucks.

What axles does Ford use? There's a full size pickup for sale in my area for $450, and I'm going to stop and check it out. Don't know if it's 2wd or 4wd. Does that have any impact on the way the 302 is setup?

:anon:

wow.. I stopped by the junkyard and they had so many things I could use.

First thing on the lot was an 88 Dakota!

Do you/ can you paint leaf springs?

There were so many options on the engine it made my head spin. I may try to go back this weekend and spend a few hours just looking at what is available.

Lots of XJ's and every one I looked at had a D44 in the rear!

Should I be looking to grab a Transfer case off one of the 'newer' xj's?

If not, what should I be looking for in a transfer case? and on what type of vehicle?

I have 20 vans in our fleet...the ones with the AOD never made it past 70k without puking...hard part failures, solenoid failures...bearing/bushing failures...if I was forced to run a ford trans...the old C-6 would be it..no overdrive, etc...but dern reliable

really,

I have briefly considered going to some manual tranny, but have concerns about the clutch pedal/linkage and everything else associated with converting from an AOD to manual.

Do the pedals come out as a unit, and I just need to get a cable through the firewall to the clutch?

If the AOD is such junk why are so many Ranger swaps done with them and why are they not being swaped out on the drag strip?

So I started the removal. Got most of the wires/hoses/vacuum lines disconnected. Tomorrow morning is the sawsall to the exhaust, unbolting the block & tranny & removing them. Then I'll spend the next couple of weekends deciding on the new powerplant and Tranny, and cleaning up the engine compartment and getting rid of the old motormounts!

I want a 302, If I can find a good AOD to mate to it!

Still no input from anyone on the NP229 TC?

For the crossover:

The 2.8 V6 sister XJ's to yours have the exhaust down the right side of the vehicle, and the left bank crossover is dead under the low (rear) half of the crankcase.

It's snug, but it's not the lowest part of the underbody. Serves as a kind of 'early warning' for the low-clearance tranny crossover member.

Not certain, but I believe the 229 is full-time only in high range 4WD -- no locked transfer case except when in low range. Fine for street use but less than ideal for off-road.

Well it's out.

As expected it was a major PITA.

I don't know why anyone would go through all of that just to drop in another 4cyl.

So starting the cleanup and still have to get the tranny/TC out.

So, I've decided on the 350 swap, simply because there is more support and precedence for this engine.

Now, I need to have a 3" lift, and I'm under the impression that Dakota springs will suffice in the rear, but what should I look for in the front, to give lift AND support the added weight of the new engine?

Any help from you LT1 guys?

Also, can you let me know what your exhaust setup is? Long Tubes/ Short Tubes H-pipe/Duals/Single 3", 2.5"

Not to hijack, but where in NH are ya?

tinyNHxj said:
wow.. I stopped by the junkyard and they had so many things I could use.

First thing on the lot was an 88 Dakota!

Do you/ can you paint leaf springs?

There were so many options on the engine it made my head spin. I may try to go back this weekend and spend a few hours just looking at what is available.

Lots of XJ's and every one I looked at had a D44 in the rear!

Should I be looking to grab a Transfer case off one of the 'newer' xj's?

If not, what should I be looking for in a transfer case? and on what type of vehicle?

I dont' mind the Hijack at all..

I'm in Nashua. Went to the junkyard in Westford Ma, near exit 32 off 495

Ah, I'm in Hampton...went to school in Manch for a lil whgile though (grew up in Derry/Fremont)

Got a few wheeling trips coming up soon...

So here's the candidate transplant.

4Bolt main 350 with TH400 tranny

Donor_Engine_001.JPG

Donor_Engine_006.JPG

Donor_Engine_015.JPG

Back