• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Liberty conversion backing plate studs?

WI-Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
After searching all the existing Liberty disc conversion threads (or what feels like searching them all), I can't find info on where to get replacement backing plate studs / part numbers. I already pulled the hardware from the junkyard but the old studs were completely rusted out. Anyone have any info on this? Or should I just get similar sized grade 8 hardware instead? Thanks!

You didn't say what year. This is for 2003 KJ with 8.25 rear. 6036533AA and 6036483AA are the bolt / stud (don't know the difference), and 6036556AA is the nut.

https://www.factorychryslerparts.co...e-Axle-Housing-to-Bac/4343044/06036556AA.html

D'oh my bad, its late, weather is hot, milk was a bad choice. 2003 KJ with 8.25 corporate is exactly what I needed, thank you!

Edit: After looking at the prices for OE studs/nuts, I think grade 8 hardware will work just fine...

Last edited:
On my TJ the bolt heads are cut so that they are flat on one side (instead of pointed). This allows the bolt to sit against the axle tube so you don't have to hold a wrench.

Yep that is one of the reasons I wanted the factory knurled bolt. However at a cost of $8 and up for each one, I'm going to opt for hardware store grade 8 fasteners instead. For that price I can hold a wrench for 5 minutes :)

I didn't need to do the studs on my 2k!

On the ones I've worked on (not so much jeep axles) the heads are shaved so the head clears the axle tube, NOT to make it easy to tighten with 1 wrench.

I didn't need to do the studs on my 2k!

Wow I think you win. My feeble brain was assuming I had to get new studs because I pulled them from the donor vehicle, not thinking my XJ would already have them from the existing drums. Thanks, I'm (probably) an idiot!

May not be able to seat them without cutting, interested to find out

On the ones I've worked on (not so much jeep axles) the heads are shaved so the head clears the axle tube, NOT to make it easy to tighten with 1 wrench.

Yes, the stud heads are cut off on one side to clear the axle tube. If mine are bad and I end up going with the grade 8 solution, will try to post back with results. I can't in good conscience pay $8-12 each stud, that is highway robbery!

I ran into the same issue, studs were way rusted out. dealer had em for $12 a piece, and I usually get a bit of a discount. anyone priced em from advanced?

From my research, you won't find these anywhere but the dealership since they are an odd size and not a common part like a lug/axle stud. But I would be interested if anyone found out what the size is. If not, I will bust out the ol' digital calipers when I tear mine down.

Got a part number for these? Lug studs are about that price, but I'm looking for brake backing plate studs which are completely different in size.[/QUOTE]

nevermind had a dumb moment and typed before I thought. they were lugnut studs, which youd need to put D30 studs in anyways. ive seen the people use grade 8 bolts for it.
could you find a wheel stud that's the right size and cut it to the same size as the backing plate stud?

nevermind had a dumb moment and typed before I thought. they were lugnut studs, which youd need to put D30 studs in anyways. ive seen the people use grade 8 bolts for it.
could you find a wheel stud that's the right size and cut it to the same size as the backing plate stud?

No worries! I'm sure I could find something, but the best two options at the moment (Currie t-bolts or grade 8's from hardware store) are the most cost-effective and least time consuming thus far.

Still scouring the interwebs for other fastener solutions from vendors like Fastenal, ARP, Grainger, etc. just out of curiosity and if I find something will post back here.

After reading conflicting posts on the issue of whether the backing plate studs will need to be replaced when going a disc brake conversion, I decided to hold off procuring replacements until doing a test fit on my own. So I did that and now see very clearly that the stock XJ studs will not do the job. So I’m looking online for replacements and am wondering if in the almost two years since the last post in this thread anyone has found an oem-style replacement stud at a price that doesn’t break the bank?

Has anyone tried using Crown Automotive backing plate mounting bolts, part no. J0994313? If so, how do they fit? Crown's website says they're compatible with D44s and D35s, but they don't expressly include Chrysler 8.25s. And, are they long enough? (See Crown's website description and specs, such as they are, here: https://www.crownautomotive.net/Brake-Mounting-Bolt/J0994313.html.)

I'm inclined at this point to just go with regular grade 8 bolts and grind the heads, but I do want to ensure a very snug fit in the flange holes because, obviously, there'll be tremendous force wanting to make the backing plate rotate every time the brake is applied and any play will cause wear over time. So my preference would be to have a tight press fit, as with oem-style studs.

I’ve thought of that too. May have to. That or make another trip to the JY to grab some studs off a Liberty or TJ.

Back