• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

few questions about the drive line on my 98

98liftedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
good afternoon, names mike. New guy here from New Jersey. I just picked up a 98 Cherokee three-inch lift on 31s. Trying to get it back into shape and make it my own.
I got an 8 1/4 rear axle with the Jeep. Before I rebuild and put that in. Is there a way to add disc brakes? I was going to take off this three-inch lift. Go with a 6 inch lift and a set of 35. I was thinking about a lunch box locker with 456 gears. I didn't want to make it that high. Seem like a better idea to keep the center of gravity low. With a 4 inch lift I just don't see how I would clear 35s.

I know there's a few companies that make upgraded wires for the XJ. Any recommendations which one to go with? When I get paid later this week I'm going to buy the ksuspension wiring upgrade. Still deciding what LED headlights to go with. As it stands right now I have 500 bucks to play with.
any recommendations would be appreciated? I'm going to look at it two-door five-speed Cherokee in a few days. I can see how this would be addicting. So far it's been fun really. Thanks a lot guys have a good one

If you are serious about running 35"s, you have a lot of learning to go through and will need big stack of cash to spend to do it right.
LED headlights are at the bottom of the 'to do' the list.
You need a complete suspension, steering and brake upgrade, along with an SYE kit, skid plates, unibody frame reinforcement, attachment points and bunch other stuff.

I suggest that you save your money and do a LOT of research before spending a cent.

stock fenders gotta go, i like a long arm kit and 1ton steering. To begin with....

It took me years to slowly build mine up to 35” tires. It’s a big jump. Lots of work.

Gonna need degree shims with that SYE also. Steering box brace...

looking around a little bit anything that is a long arm suspension is really expensive. Throw on some wheels and tires. it's expensive pretty quick. I work at a tire shop so I get a discount on the tires. going to hold off on lifting it more now. going to put more money away for this project.
I believe I found it 231 that already has a fixed yoke for decent price. these Jeeps require a good bit more work I suppose.
I have a friend that works for a tow company I have access to a WJ. The rear is bashed in. If I could cut the rear axle out. then there is a liberty with no motor trans. Anything I can grab all of these two? Thanks for the link but I have a bit more time I'll take a look

I have access to a WJ. The rear is bashed in. If I could cut the rear axle out. then there is a liberty with no motor trans. Anything I can grab all of these two?

The axles will not work without cutting off the coil spring mounts and welding leaf spring mount on, it's a lot of work. Easier to find a junk yard XJ 8.25.

The Liberty's rear disc brakes can be used on the XJ's rear axle.

The WJ front knuckles and brakes can be used, with modifications, on the XJ's front axle. It requires steering and track bar work and switching to OTK steering

The axles will not work without cutting off the coil spring mounts and welding leaf spring mount on, it's a lot of work. Easier to find a junk yard XJ 8.25.

The Liberty's rear disc brakes can be used on the XJ's rear axle.

The WJ front knuckles and brakes can be used, with modifications, on the XJ's front axle. It requires steering and track bar work and switching to OTK steering

I would want to know what axle he's actually got?

Absolutely not, I've been running mine now for a couple of years with what was stock and upgraded to the Currie Correctlink and I'm at 5.5" of lift.

O/P, good idea doing more research before you start throwing money around.

If you have this thing caught up on maintenance, why not bring it out to NACFest next week in PA and try it out as it stands? Would give you an idea as to what it does and doesn't need.

The NAC VP (Rock2pus) will be there, and he has a 2K sitting on 3.5 inches (longarms) and 35s, and he does a LOT with it. Between him and the rest of the guys that'll be there, you might get some extra ideas.

I've been running mine now for a couple of years with what was stock and upgraded to the Currie Correctlink and I'm at 5.5" of lift.

Did you mean "Currie Currectlync"? Searching Currie's site and Google shows nothing for "Correctlink".
Guess I should rephrase my statement, to take full advantage the WJ knuckles, OTK steering and a raised track bar are preferable.

While I run a Currie Currectlync, at 4" of lift, I'm not happy having the track bar running at the angle it's at, I would rather have it flat.
Wish Currie had made the draglink's TRE end removable so it could be rolled upside down and mounted on top, allowing the raising of the track bar, over the axle, without having to buy a new steering setup.

good to know thanks. I'll grab the front knuckles axle shafts whatever else I can off the WJ and grabbed the rear brakes off liberty.
I have stock axles. I did get a Chrysler rear axle with it though.
I'm in New Jersey.. When and where you guys meeting? If you have a link that be great. Try to get the maintenance items done getting close.
lazyxj, what is OTK steering? Thanks

thanks I appreciate it. Going to see about getting out there Sunday really the only time I have hopefully I get my valve cover my exhaust and a few other little things taking care of

good to know thanks. I'll grab the front knuckles axle shafts whatever else I can off the WJ and grabbed the rear brakes off liberty.
I'm in New Jersey.. When and where you guys meeting? If you have a link that be great. Try to get the maintenance items done getting close.

OTK = Over The Knuckle

WJ front axle shafts won't do ya any good, but knuckles and all the brake stuff will for the front will

WJ front axle shafts won't do ya any good, but knuckles and all the brake stuff will for the front will

Without axle side Trac bar relocation brackets, I thought wj knuckles would allow the tie rod to hit the diff cover/ bind before full. No?

Also op. Liberty hardline don't fit the xj rear brake block and the rubber flex end is permanently attach to the hardline. Take tge rest of the brakes though!

Like everyone else has said, definitely do your research before dumping a bunch of cash into things. I personally would recommend getting a Ford 8.8 out of a late model Ford Explorer. They are cheap and plentiful at the Junk Yard, come with the same 5 x4.5 bolt pattern, 31 spline axles and disk brakes. There are a number of companies that sell the conversion kits -which basically contain new spring perches, shock mounts, u bolts pads and u bolts. It will take a little more work to weld on the spring perches and shock mounts, as well as a little welding on the tube, to make sure they will never spin, but the benefit is a rear end with lots of traction device support, is heavy duty and easily supports 35's. I am running 37's on my XJ with a Ford 8.8.

There are lots of threads on NAXJA of people who have done the swap. Here are some of the kits

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.co...nAc1aH-evKP1OLRmyxUiR2R88DLy3fCRoCMKUQAvD_BwE

https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product/xj-ford-88-axle-swap-kit-w-truss.html

https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/c-130046-axle-swap-parts-ford-8-8-parts.html

thanks for information guys. Been a few since I've been on here. Im going to sell the Chrysler axle and find of Ford Explorer axle.
I have a few pictures of my Jeep now just wasn't too sure how to add them here.

hi guys how do I put pictures up on here? Been looking around I'm going to go with the Ford Explorer rear axle. Been collecting parts slowly but surely. Repairing things as I go. Take a while but I'm getting there. I need to rebuild a few joints I just about have the parts for a 4.5 inch lift

Back