• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Web Browsers.

CherBear

NAXJA Forum User
What web browsers does NAXJA use?

Right now im using Google Chrome. It seems to be very fast, and great for daily web browsing.

I use Mozilla Firefox if i cant get something to work on Chrome (doesnt like ActiveX and some js) Or if im debugging html and the like.
Also it has sooo many plugins, it is useful for every niche job i need it for.

I hate IE. Slow, doesnt comply to standards nearly as well as the other two. Crashes sometimes.

How bout you guys? I know there are some tech related people on here...:cheers:

i believe ie was originally created out of poo and twigs. i use firefox-love it. i may try google chrome though for fun, sounds interesting. always down for trying new things.

'Use Firefox(3.0-something) for regular browsing. Mainly for the "flash-block" and "add-block" plugins. They make the world wide wait so much more tolerable. Entertaining tidbit: I didn't know there was an advertisement in the upper right corner of the NAXJA web page for the first 2 years I was on the board here. (I can't see it now either)

Use Safari( damn Mac people :smsoap: ) to watch television shows online. NBC,CBS,and Fox use a proprietary flash player to keep us thieves from stealing their "intellectual" :confused1: property, and the player doesn't work on Firefox(last time I tried it anyway)

Use IE at work because that's what they loaded on the computer. It came pre-loaded on the computer I'm using now, but I have enough trouble keeping 2 browsers updated without messing with another.

Haven't tried Chrome yet, probably won't bother. The buzz seems to be: It's just as good as Firefox! 'Got a friend 'been telling me the new Wranglers are just as good as my XJ. Maybe I'll try chrome after I trade in the '00 on a Rubicon. :D

Chrome feels alot like firefox... but the interface is soooo clean. Very easy to use for daily web browsing. Plus it has a feature that puts thumbnails of your most visited websites on your welcome screen. Very useful.
I think you all should try it.

Running Safari at the moment just because I'm too lazy to duplicate all of my bookmarks over to Firefox. I run Firefox on my secondary computer. IE sucks and I absolutely refuse to use it.

FireFox 3.x (3.5 on my FreeBSD desktop, 3.0.12 on my work laptop...)

I use Safari on my Mac at home and I use Firefox at work because for some reason Safari for windows doesn't get along with my work computer.

been on chrome since it was a beta. love it. its fast and has a very un-cluttered interface.

same as OP said tho it has a few bugs with activeX and java.

The vast majority of my browser time is spent in Firefox, and that's almost all 3.5.x now. I'm forced to run IE at my day job for corporate access.

Firefox principally.

I try to keep a copy of everything on hand for checking out my web pages (not that I really need to - they're simple...) but I primarily use FF 3.5 under XPSP2.

Haven't tried Chrome yet, but I'm sure it's pretty good (Google seems to be good at simple stuff.)

Tried Safari on my PC - it was a worse resource hog than MSIE.

I will only use MSIE when absolutely required to do so by some site that is inflexible in their programming - but they're starting to catch up with FF, so I'm using MSIE less and less (and there was much rejoicing. "yaaaay.")

I can't stand MSIE - it's slow and there's too much overhead (just like Windoze, but I'm stuck there because I'm still using Windoze software. No *nix versions available yet.) If I have to use MSIE, it's under protest (and I usually log the protest with the site administrator. It sometimes helps...)

Chrome feels alot like firefox... Plus it has a feature that puts thumbnails of your most visited websites on your welcome screen.

Newest update of Safari does that too. I use primarily Safari or Firefox at home. I'm not a tech guy, just a user. But smart enough to know IE sux big hairy donkey balls. I hate that I have to use it at work.

Running Google Chrome and for the most part I love it. Definitely a fan of the way it takes your 9 most visited web pages sets them as thumbnails for easy clicking when you first open the browser or open a new tab. Only issue I have with it is on Facebook doing a couple of things but I think that might be related to the Active X issue as I believe that's what that site runs.

Normally use Firefox. Better than IE for browsing. But, I have Sirius, and it plays best on IE- it shows the last five songs played on a music channel. Based on what a few folks have said, gotta try Google Chrome.

Firefox or Epiphany on my Linux box

Firefox on my windows machine, except for my bank which only likes IE for depositing checks.

I use Opera on My Wii as well as on my phone and sometimes on the linux box.

I can't stand MSIE - it's slow and there's too much overhead (just like Windoze, but I'm stuck there because I'm still using Windoze software. No *nix versions available yet.) If I have to use MSIE, it's under protest (and I usually log the protest with the site administrator. It sometimes helps...)
I also use IE only for corporate stuff that requires it (and some things like WindowsUpdate)

Other than that, UserAgentSwitcher is amazing - even sites that normally have that retarded "this site can only be viewed with IE, please install the latest version" can usually be faked out using it. I have my FreeBSD 64-bit install claiming to be Win2k IE6 right now :) works almost every time, unless a wacky ActiveX control is required.

Also, have you tried running your windows software in Wine? It doesn't work with everything, but I use it to run Cadsoft EAGLE for most of my PCB designs and it works great.

Back