• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Open Seats?

LBC970

NAXJA Forum User
I'd like to go, but the XJ isn't quite ready for it. So I was wondering if anyone out there had an open seat I could fill. I'd be self sufficient, I could help with gas, and I don't even mind getting out in the mud and helping with repairs/stucks. I don't even require much room. Just me and a backpack.

I figure running with someone who knows what they are doing would be a good idea before attempting it on my own. I have been wheeling for a while, but mostly mud and forested trails. I have very little rock experience.

Thanks!
Cody

How do the runs work? Does everyone meet in one location, BS for a while, then split up into different groups and head out? I am looking at staying at the OK RV Park and being there Wednesday - Sunday.

I haven't been out for a few years. I do remember gathering early in the morning in the City Market parking lot, and running out to the trails from there.

The last few years there have been staging areas set up for the different trails. However I don't know if that will be needed. It all depends on how many show up.

The BLM limits the number of rigs each trail can run on a particular day. It depends on the trail, each one is different. If they do it like they used to there will be a sign up sheet for each trail that is run each day. When that trail fills up, you will have to look for the next one. Then the morning of that run you will line up at the meeting place set up for that particular trail and follow the trail leader of the day until you are back to town.

Last year we all staged up at SlickRock Campground every morning. Had to sign up for the trails there with Vince (I think was his name). That's where I will be staying at this year also. Yo Mike- You gonna be there again this year?????

How do the runs work? Does everyone meet in one location, BS for a while, then split up into different groups and head out? I am looking at staying at the OK RV Park and being there Wednesday - Sunday.

I'd suggest you try to stay at Slickrock Campground. Everything is decided from there. You will have best luck getting a seat there in the evening before or that morning. I'm happy to show you what I can & you can ride when the wife wants the day off, I often leed trails but there are more experienced drivers & mechanics than me, for sure. Come & have fun, lots of great guys, you'll have a blast. It's all about getting new guys into wheeling. These guys did it for me. Thom

I'd like to go, but the XJ isn't quite ready for it. So I was wondering if anyone out there had an open seat I could fill. I'd be self sufficient, I could help with gas, and I don't even mind getting out in the mud and helping with repairs/stucks. I don't even require much room. Just me and a backpack.

I figure running with someone who knows what they are doing would be a good idea before attempting it on my own. I have been wheeling for a while, but mostly mud and forested trails. I have very little rock experience.

Thanks!
Cody

It's not a problem. I'll have an open seat (and I'm sure they be others) but there will be trails stock rigs can do just fine. Come on out and join the fun. Like Thom said we'll be staying at the Slick Rock Campground and that's out home base for registration/trail signups.

MJR, I used to work with a girl in AK with a "Got Groceries" sticker in her window. She is on the NAXJA forums too. WolfHeartAK. You know her?

It is looking good for me to be there this year, will be solo so have an open seat.

Thanks for all the responses guys! Since I cant possibly fill 6 open seats at once, hopefully this will be a good go to place for others looking for a seat.

Thanks again!

Sorry, I didn't know. :twak: lol

No problem and no need to apologize.

Thanks for all the responses guys! Since I cant possibly fill 6 open seats at once, hopefully this will be a good go to place for others looking for a seat.

Thanks again!

Well you'll have your choice of seats for all five days but if you bringing a rig why not wheel it.

Well you'll have your choice of seats for all five days but if you bringing a rig why not wheel it.

Good thing the form has a list function!

1. No Spare
  2. No Jack
  3. No Recovery Equipment
  4. No Attachment Points
  5. Bald Tires
  6. Etc
  7. Etc
I just bought the Jeep off a guy who used to work where I do. Got a smoking deal on it. Every Saturday I spend 8+ hours working on the thing to get it closer to wheeling. So far I have only done brakes, bumpers, and a tune-up.

I'd love to run it, but I would rather wait until it's ready. Don't need to be breaking down in the middle of nowhere with nothing to fix it.

:cool:

Good thing the form has a list function!

1. No Spare
  2. No Jack
  3. No Recovery Equipment
  4. No Attachment Points
  5. Bald Tires
  6. Etc
  7. Etc
I just bought the Jeep off a guy who used to work where I do. Got a smoking deal on it. Every Saturday I spend 8+ hours working on the thing to get it closer to wheeling. So far I have only done brakes, bumpers, and a tune-up.

I'd love to run it, but I would rather wait until it's ready. Don't need to be breaking down in the middle of nowhere with nothing to fix it.

:cool:

Barney Brothers Off-Road here in Junction has 5 33" MTR's for like $400. They came off of a Rubicon so they fit a 16" wheel. Mesa Pawn also had about 5 or 6 highlift jacks that they were selling for $30 each, which is a good price. One of them had all the accessories! You can get a tow strap for about $30 at Auto Zone and a first aid kit from Wally World for about $20. I got lots of spare parts too, if you need something. And you can get weld on D-rings from Westerm Implement for about $10-$15. All these businesses are here in Junction-Come on down! Trust me, you WILL regret not being able to wheel once you get there. It's so much fun with these guys. Last year was my first year doing this run with them and it was a blast!!!!! I WILL be there this year too!!!!!!:confused1

Last edited:
Damn, running out of excuses...

I'm planning on taking a trip out to Junction on Saturday, looks like it might be a productive trip!

Back