• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front reciever, D-ring tabs, or both?

terryd

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I've finally gathered the materials for my front tow points. I'm using plates that incorporate the steering box and factory bumper bolts on the sides, with a piece of angle iron on the inside of the two tabs on the front of the body where the bumper bolts up and a piece of 2.5"x2.5"x.250" box between them behind the front bumper.

Now I'm trying to decide whether I should poke two d-ring tabs through the bumper between the factory bumperettes or trim the bumper a little in the middle below my license plate and put a 2" receiver tube there, or just do both.

Here's a quick sketch of roughly where they would come through the factory bumper.
DSCN1149JPGplatesmugetowpoints.jpg

Yeah, if you're building it why not do both. They're both pretty easy to make, and they're both good recovery. If I was going to do just one I would probably do d-ring tabs.

I'm planning to weld some 2" class-III receivers to tow-hook brackets. Then I can use the inserts to run shackles, hooks, or even flat tow the Jeep using a tow-bar, whatever I want. If done right, the receivers will come out through the air deflector under the bumper and be pretty well hidden.

100_0356.JPG
+
80924.jpg

I would do the receiver tube or both. The receiver besides good for recovery point. Can also be fitted with a winch, a platform, a chair.

Back