• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 swap info please

wrenchntech

NAXJA Forum User
ok guys ive looked at other posts. this is what i have , 88 xj with a dana 35 RE 5.5 lift and slipyok eleminator with a tom woods driveshaft. i was lookin into swapping to either a 8.25 or a ford explorer 8.8. i know from reading that the 8.8 is alot stronger than the 8.25, i know ill have to strip the8.8 and weld on new mounts, im fine with that. being that the explore housing is bigger with have any issues with my driveshaft length. i know ill need a driveshaft adaptor too right.

I just bought an 8.8 for mine, haven't put it in yet, but I decided now is the time for an SYE as well. an XJ front driveshaft will be more than long enough with the 8.8.

Depends on the length of the shaft. I was able to reuse mine TW shaft when I went from a turdy-five to a 44. Just measure the length of the pinion on the 8.8 and compare it to the length on the 35.

The other thing to watch out for is size of the u-joint. I had to get a combo u-joint because my 35 had the larger size. Don't remember the numbers, but it was sort of a pain trying to find one in town.

sandyeggoxj said:
Just measure the length of the pinion on the 8.8 and compare it to the length on the 35.quote]

You forgot to metion that the axle is also offset to the pasenger side by 2 3/16 from center compared to the 3/4 offset of the d35, that will affect the overall length by quite a bit.

the length of the sye matters also... i have the tera extreme short shaft and my ds is over 3 inches longer. bad choice on my part to go with that kit, but that is a different story. The main thing is to just measure the length and then get a ds, or find someone running the same setup and see how long their ds is u-joint to u-joint.

not exactly a bad idea to go with the shorty sye, its actually a good idea because it helps your driveline angle a nice bit, the down side is a longer shaft.

sandyeggoxj said:
the length of the sye matters also... i have the tera extreme short shaft and my ds is over 3 inches longer. bad choice on my part to go with that kit, but that is a different story. The main thing is to just measure the length and then get a ds, or find someone running the same setup and see how long their ds is u-joint to u-joint.

Back