• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's Cross Member and 1" drop cross member

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK... so the big question is is the 1" drop one less sturdy (sacrificing some brace or stiffener) because it is supposedly same clearance as the other one.

crossmember_01.jpg

Also for time being can I attach that stock t-case skid to it for now? (I am sooooo broke at the moment and my tax refund $$ has to go to something else :( )

Kejtar

I have the drop, that's not the issue, but I am considering going without the drop for a while if I can use the crossmember with the 1" lowering from the get go (so for time being I get best of both worlds: drop and keep clearance)

Kejtar
P.S. I was born and raised on metric... I still have trouble with imperial every so often..... :)

I'm using Rusty's 1" drop cross member. My guess is it's 1/4" steel, and welded into a box, so I doubt you're going to hurt it. Mine has been on for about a year and a half now, with 2 trips to Paragon and some local wheeling, and other than a bunch of scratches, it still looks new. I'd say go for it, you won't be sorry you did.

Kej, how pressed are you for time?? I was going to work on a flat x-member this weekend for myself. I could probably duplicate it fairly cheaply and send you one. You could just lower it so that you are at or below the stock height(a flat x-member raises the tranny 5/8"(a little more than 1cm ;))). Let me know if you're interested in hearing more. Peace

Ary

You cannot fit the Mopar t-case skid to the 1" drop crossmember. The t-case hangs too low to attach the skid to the crossmember. Rustys long arm kit comes with the built in 1" drop and im going to install a 1" raised tranny mount to get the t-case up where it belongs. My advice ist: Don't do it, if clearance is important for you go with the SYE an then loose the 1" drop.

XJoachim said:
You cannot fit the Mopar t-case skid to the 1" drop crossmember. The t-case hangs too low to attach the skid to the crossmember.

My factory transfercase skid bolts up without any problem to Rustys' drop crossmember. The x-fer case doesn't come close to hitting the skid. Weird.

Spacer

I Rusty's Cross member with the 1" drop. Even Rusty's when I tried to put Rusty's Skid Plate back on I needed to use some spacers between the skid and the crossmember to clear the x-case. Works great and looks fine.

hmmm... I didn't seem to have that problem... I just had to use a BFH to shape it better LOL. In any case I will be looking into better alternatives though for the skid :)

Back