• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ouray to telluride

jimgrms

NAXJA Forum User
For my trip to telluride for the blues and brews festival the closest room we can fine is in ouray which is 20 miles as the crow flies but i can't fly so it be came a hour drive .does any one know of a trail meaning (smooth dirt road ) not black bear or some other 9 or 10 rater trail that we can take back and forth

I also found yankee boy and on one of the bays we will do them while there But my ladie panics on shelf roads, don't understand it she will climb 14ers at a moments notice : so will not do ophir with her If a moderator would move this thread to the correct area i would appreciate it thanks

Actually, I think you should do Black Bear. It's the most beautiful trail I've run and it's not as difficult as it's hyped up to be. Your rig is more than capable of handling it. A stocker could handle it as long as the driver knows what he/she is doing.

Black Bear gets its nasty rating because of the switchbacks. All the books out there talk about how treacherous it is. Well, true, you'd surely die if you went off the edge, but unless your brakes AND your transmission fail, that's not too likely to happen. Just get used to making 3 point turns on 'em.

Anyway, I LOVED that trail and encourage you to run it if you're interested. You won't be disappointed. :thumbup:

I will be just my rig and 3 passenger s one of which freaks out one any kind of paved road that overlooks a canyon and a shelf road or those switchbacks would make her get out and walk

Jim - Imogene pass isn't bad either from a difficulty standpoint (less tight switchbacks that Black Bear, and it is a really cool ride -- can be done in a stocker. However, it does, like virtually all of the roads between Ouray and Telluride, have a significant portion that is "shelf road" -- kind of the nature of the beast in mountains like the San Juans. Also, while all of these options are physically shorter than going up through Ridgeway, they almost invariably will take MUCH longer than doing it on pavement...

After much thought and discussion on the matter she has made a decision ain't no way she is going on a shelf road , so i will drive the paved one and go to telluride in the mid to late afternoon and drink free beer and enjoy the music ' an the am the ladies can climb mts or what ever and the menfolk will wheel and fish, hell i am easy to get along with i hope they don't need me to climb a me to rescue if they get in trouble they need to do it in site of a road lol

its not too bad, theres 2 places to camp; the baseball field and then theres some 'primitive' camping further away. we always go to the primitive sites and its generally relaxed and not too crazy.

Actually, I think you should do Black Bear. It's the most beautiful trail I've run and it's not as difficult as it's hyped up to be. Your rig is more than capable of handling it. A stocker could handle it as long as the driver knows what he/she is doing.

Black Bear gets its nasty rating because of the switchbacks. All the books out there talk about how treacherous it is. Well, true, you'd surely die if you went off the edge, but unless your brakes AND your transmission fail, that's not too likely to happen. Just get used to making 3 point turns on 'em.

Anyway, I LOVED that trail and encourage you to run it if you're interested. You won't be disappointed. :thumbup:

My wife and I went over it in a bone stock Jeep Liberty 2 weeks ago. Also done it in a full size stock Suburban and a completely 100% stock 40's flat fender.

You NEED to go over B/B...

That sucks she refuses to wheel with you.....she is going to miss out on some incredible views and awesome trails!! But as long as she doesn't mind you going without her.....you're golden! :laugh:

We just got back from down there about 2 weeks ago....had an amazing time!

we got her talked into the alpine loop engineers pass and cinnamon pass and those are the one s i want to do mostley she wants to do the blues scene as she is a guitar player and is into blues music ,so we will do that sat morning and then go to telluride for dinner and visit the juke joints

Back