• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn signal switch

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
The switch in the column of my 88 XJ isn't working. I know this is where the problem is because I have hazard lights, and the BU lights work that are on the same circuit. The signals work every once in awhile for a couple blinks if you move the tilt steering in another spot. I have tried to replace one of these in an older car I had and it ended up way to much for my little brain. Has any one replaced this and also does any one know around how much to get it replaced. It has the wipers/wash tied into the same handle that comes out of the column.
Thanks !

easy fix just get your self a stearing wheel puller and the tool fer removeing the lock plate, You can get the lock plate off withount the tool but its not fun.

I just got done replacing that thing about 2 weeks ago. It's called the "multi-function switch". It's not too bad a job and you can grab a new switch at pretty much any autoparts place. If you've got cruise it, mine ran about 48 bucks but I didn't have time to shop around at all. Sounds like the wires in got bent one too many times in yours...

I had that same problem, got hazards but turn signal wasn't blinking. Actually it was just a short in the wire. I removed the assembly and kinda straightened up all the wires and when i put it back in it worked. might be all the problem you got.

Yep I know exactly what it is. The housing the bulb twists into go bad and need replaced. It has happened on both front signals of mine. Just buy an after market one that will snap into your turn signal lense. Then wire it up to your old wiring. Took me for ever to figure it out though. :wow:

Back