• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ross's Jeep that will take longer than Rob's to build thread...

Re: Ross's Box and Sticker Collection

cool.

Why bother shaving this POS, I mean, do you *really* think your 10" ring gear is going to hold up?

Why bother shaving this POS, I mean, do you *really* think your 10" ring gear is going to hold up?
Um, yeah, I think it will.

Nice job with that insert piece Ross :thumbup:

Yes, yes I do.

Whats under there??

4lllrn.jpg

Did some preheating with the torches and got the housing all nice and warm and fuzzy. Cranked the MIG up and ran two passes on the outside, followed by one on the inside. Wrapped it all up and let it cool nice and slow. I did some peening throughout passes for the hell of it. No cranks, no lines, looks nice to have nice and solid fusion everywhere.

2m7xjxf.jpg

29di7fm.jpg

Went over the bottom with a flap wheel and make it all nice and smoooooooth. No nips, no lips ;) Got it up on the bridgeport now and starting to deck the cover surface and make it all good. I noticed the welds are alot harder to machine, I think I need some non-cheapo end mills.

34y2tc1.jpg

2rzs20y.jpg

Man if it takes you two years to half build some axles I don't want to see how long it takes you to build a 3 link.

Axle side is done, sans drilling/tapping two more cover bolts. Got the cover cut, gotta make the new bottom flange and add in some bolts. Once I get a flat spot setup on each side, I'll drill thru the cover flange and housing in one shot, with the rest of the cover bolted down, to ensure the new bolt holes are aligned and everything will fit nicely. The axle diff cover surface came out pretty good, hopefully the cover will too and a bead of RTV will keep it from leaking.

xbpec.jpg

2utq92v.jpg

1z2p1mr.jpg

finally some coolness

hey she's coming along

Back