• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ross's Jeep that will take longer than Rob's to build thread...

Re: Ross's Box and Sticker Collection

Honestly seems like a good idea to me. But I'm somewhat of a perfectionist...

Either way, glad to see some progress!

now its reasonable

It actually took less time to build the jig then I thought. I wiped it together in like 1.5 hrs, including a break inbetween welding to keep the jig from warping outta wack. I still gotta add a couple more holes to be able to bolt down the pinion support to be able to deck the diff cover mating surface. I'll probably end up shaving a few 14b's now for people too. I could also add more holes to the jig to be able to put other axles, say a D60, up there too.

What a waste of time.

Don't squash his creativity. We're actually getting some where now.

You should cover your bridgeport in your sticker collection btw

And now off to make my rounds to the stupidest jeep on the planet....this aught to be good

I just kept going until I thought I was happy. Now I gotta pull the axle off the Bridgeport and mill out the center slot in the patch piece (area in black looking inside and from the back). The patch piece is 3/4" and the groove will be half thickness leaving 3/8" of metal between Earth and 5.38's. The housing should be the right hieght and leave like ~1/8" between the ring gear and patch. If anything, I may have to mill a little bit more off the housing. I'll pop the shaved ring on the carrier and get it mocked up in there.

eknnki.jpg

1zywwj.jpg

xnrqd4.jpg

2njdcm8.jpg

jfdo51.jpg

Glad to see some work getting done.
Nice job!

damn, it'll almost be a shame to weld over that.

I did ;)

Ive studied that thread ALOT. His cut is the red line, mine is the blue line.

2079def.jpg
Cool. So your ring gear is going to need to be a smaller outer diameter than pretty much anyone elses who has done this, right? Are you going to have to take down the dia any smaller than the 5.38T that's already been taken down by Ballistic?

damn, it'll almost be a shame to weld over that.

Im still deciding how I wanna heat & weld it. I gotta either play with my torches and get a better rosebud or rig up a axle grill cooker. Im thinking if a I get an el cheapo outdoor grill, I can cut out two small doors on the sides so I can put the center section directly in the heat and have the tubes hang out the sides. I can also re-use el cheapo grill to heat my knuckles for welding. AND I can use el cheapo grill to make burgers and dogs :greensmok

Cool. So your ring gear is going to need to be a smaller outer diameter than pretty much anyone elses who has done this, right? Are you going to have to take down the dia any smaller than the 5.38T that's already been taken down by Ballistic?

I had my ring turned down like Ballistic's, ~10" OD. Once the patch piece is notched, it'll sit far enough into the housing for maximum clearance. I coulda gained more overall clearance by having my bottom piece thinner, like 1/4" or 1/8", but I wanted to keep it 3/8" at its thinnest spot.

Im still deciding how I wanna heat & weld it. I gotta either play with my torches and get a better rosebud or rig up a axle grill cooker. Im thinking if a I get an el cheapo outdoor grill, I can cut out two small doors on the sides so I can put the center section directly in the heat and have the tubes hang out the sides. I can also re-use el cheapo grill to heat my knuckles for welding. AND I can use el cheapo grill to make burgers and dogs :greensmok

Keep an eye out for those "buy some amount of stuff and get this crappy grill for free" sales at hardware stores or whatever. My mom got one that way.

I can also re-use el cheapo grill to heat my knuckles for welding. AND I can use el cheapo grill to make burgers and dogs :greensmok

while heating the knuckles?:dunno:

Hey Ross......I have a sticker to add to your box and sticker collection. One from good ol Colorado.
If you're up for one more sticker pm me a mailing addy to send it to

Oh baby, oh baby, oh.

I said I'd have the 14b ready to weld by the weekend and I think Im going to meet that deadline!!! :shocked: I figured out how to make the bridgeport angle to the sides and was able to make the patch piece. It fits perfectly!!! Leaves just about an 1/8" clearance between the ring gear/carrier and the patch all around it. I was able to keep the minimum thickness to 3/8" right in the middle.

20v1clg.jpg

2qtvhx0.jpg

25s8qd0.jpg

97703p.jpg

iz10kl.jpg

Back