• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ Leaking Coolant - Lower Hose or Pump?

Greenspan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
98 XJ 160Kmi always had a little bit of a coolant leak but got worse over the weekend. It's been one of the hottest days of the year in LA and I've been driving around with A/C so probably have been stressing the system.

It looks like it is coming from the lower radiator hose. About a year or two I replaced the hoses with the Mishimoto radiator hoses. I remember struggling a lot with the lower hose connection with the engine. I got it on, but probably would have preferred to get it on a little bit more than I did. Hasn't leaked much since then so assumed it was okay.

Searching around it sounds like there is a weep hole on the pump that will leak fluid when the pump starts to go. Is there an easy way to determine if it is the water pump or the hose maybe just not on right? What water pump do you guys recommend these days?

Take it to a shop that has a cooling system pressure tester.

make sure the lower hose i tight. replace the lower hose and bleed the air out of the system as needed if leaking . Inspect the water pump for leaks. Water pumps are cheap and easy to replace .

Yeah, the problem is if I take off the lower hose all the coolant will drain out. I am leaning towards just assume it's the water pump and replace it anyway. What's the best water pump these days? Is the Flowkooler 1747 Water Pump any good?

Is the rest of your cooling system set up for that Hesco Hi flow water pump?

Why not use a mopar pump? Just a quick search and it seems that it's still available

Is the rest of your cooling system set up for that Hesco Hi flow water pump?

Why not use a mopar pump? Just a quick search and it seems that it's still available

How do I need to setup the system for that pump? Was planning on getting their high flow thermostat housing and thermostat too. I have a CFM 3 Core Radiator and Misihimoto Silicone hoses already.

Where did you find the mopar pump I couldn't find it.

I do a lot of wheeling in the Mojave desert. Cooling system is always on my mind. I would like to upgrade the water pump while I am replacing it if it makes sense. I don't mind spending the extra $150 on the pump if there will be some tangible benefit. Are there any negatives that I should be aware of?

Isn’t this the part # MOPAR PART # V9900083 — you need to verify part number for your year

Enter that in your search engine of choice — I see some on amazon and also on rock auto

I don’t run the high flow stuff, there does seem to be issues with pumping the coolant too fast — some are saying it doesn’t cool as well — there’s a thread talking about it right now — I think the title is “overheating problems solved” or something like that

You'll know when your water pump goes. All coolant will leak out in a few minutes. Had the pleasure of replacing mine under a tree at Hidden Falls. I was 2 miles from camp and had almost no water in the system when I made it back.

OP check your oil. If you got it too hot, could be leaking coolant elsewhere

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

All WP I've seen go bad get a small leak from weep hole. Try using a flashlight to see directly under the pulley. Doubt its the hoses unless they are installed wrong or clamp is loose.

For hot weather slow crawling I would recommend a high volume water pump but do check the other posts.

I bought my Hesco pump as insurance for my new stroker. The only other thing I did was to make a hi-flow t-stat housing out of my existing neck. It's been perfect now for 2yrs.

98 XJ 160Kmi always had a little bit of a coolant leak but got worse over the weekend. It's been one of the hottest days of the year in LA and I've been driving around with A/C so probably have been stressing the system.

It looks like it is coming from the lower radiator hose. About a year or two I replaced the hoses with the Mishimoto radiator hoses. I remember struggling a lot with the lower hose connection with the engine. I got it on, but probably would have preferred to get it on a little bit more than I did. Hasn't leaked much since then so assumed it was okay.

Searching around it sounds like there is a weep hole on the pump that will leak fluid when the pump starts to go. Is there an easy way to determine if it is the water pump or the hose maybe just not on right? What water pump do you guys recommend these days?
Save your money and find your leak first. You can add cheap uv dye to your coolant and trace it that way. Pressure testers can be loaned from AZ or the like, which is free in the end, but not needed.

If you go real ghetto but effective chalk/ flower the area your thinking it's leaking and follow the newly wet trail of coolant.

If you don't know what's leaking don't spend money on random parts, I've had some odd leaks over the years and they were not close to where it seemed.

Uv is good stuff, + a uv light or cheap uv pen light.

All WP I've seen go bad get a small leak from weep hole.

Most of the failures I've seen have also been small leaks. As the bearing wear, the added slop makes the seals leak. I had a 93 GC spit the bearing out the front, dump it's coolant and had the fan and belt flopping around. The previous owner dumped in a ton of stopleak that clogged up the bearing. I've seen a few with broken or spun impellers that the only clue was overheating.

Back