• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you towing with?

Picked up a new tow rig.

97 Ford F800
8.3 Cummins
Eaton Fuller 9 speed
Will pull anything...and anything...and everything.

vIfIxWN.jpg

I'll post up when I'm done. Plans are 4x4 conversion, Denali interior, Raptor paint in Jeep Liquid Charcoal Gray, Stereo, and power windows/locks.
Truck has been raptored in charcoal gray outside, black grill, black floor (over a bunch of dynamat), gray headliner, black door panels with carpet trim, and has front and rear Denali seats. Heated all the way around. Cold AC. Double Din Kenwood with backup camera. Tinted the windows. Turned up from 14psi (stock) to 28psi (estimate 350hp/1100lbft). Tows a jeep like it doesn't exist.

No pics yet, but I'm brand new to this and trying to set up my bone stock XJ for flat tow behind the motorhome.
I'm curious, what tow bars are you guys using? The price range is so drastic. $1,500 for a tow bar? Ouch.
Which combo tow bar/base plate have y'all found to work the best? Pros/cons? I don't mind spending a buck or two but geez, I'm just to figure out what's the best combo.

No pics yet, but I'm brand new to this and trying to set up my bone stock XJ for flat tow behind the motorhome.
I'm curious, what tow bars are you guys using? The price range is so drastic. $1,500 for a tow bar? Ouch.
Which combo tow bar/base plate have y'all found to work the best? Pros/cons? I don't mind spending a buck or two but geez, I'm just to figure out what's the best combo.

I've been using this one for years with no problems. Added the D ring adapters cause of my bumper but you can use regular the mounts fine as long as they're mounted solid. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016KBT2G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 D-ring mounts https://www.amazon.com/Warrior-Prod...ior+d+ring&qid=1582145827&s=automotive&sr=1-2

a24.jpg a23.jpg

Last edited:
Pay attention to the angle of rides at...especially if you're using a lightweight truck. Flat is good, bar at a steep angle is bad.

We just completed the maiden towing voyage of our latest tow rig: a 2018 Yukon Denali. We traveled from N. Texas to SW Colorado towing our XJ on an all-metal trailer. While I've never bothered to weigh it, I'm guessing the loaded trailer weights round 6,000 - 6,500 lbs.

According to the trip computer, we travelled 1,893.2 miles and averaged 11.7 miles per gallon while maintaining the speed limit or better pretty much constantly. We pulled over Raton and Monarch Passes as well as several lesser "summits" along US 50 with no trouble at all. We even passed a 3/4-ton pickup pulling a large travel trailer while going up Monarch Pass.

The 6.2L V8 (430 hp / 460 lb.-ft.) and ten-speed auto make for a great towing combination. Control and braking were also exemplary. My wife commented repeatedly that from the passenger seat, she could not tell we were towing at all. We were very pleased with the results. It's quite an improvement over our 2007 Suburban (6.0L and four-speed auto). In fact, it was no comparison really.

Also, this was our first time towing while using a weight-distributing hitch and I can say quite confidently that I'll never tow another heavy load without one. It makes a huge difference! We chose the Andersen Weight Distribution Kit that uses poly bushings instead of metal torsion springs, and I can't say enough good things about it. Highly recommended!

YukonAndXJa.jpg

Which tire model are you guys using for towing? I am currently browsing the options on 4wheelonline so I can replace the old tires of my dad's Denali.

Which tire model are you guys using for towing? I am currently browsing the options on 4wheelonline so I can replace the old tires of my dad's Denali.

We're running the OEM Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza (P285/45R22) because that's what was on the Yukon when we bought it.

No complaints, but I'll probably bite the bullet and put Michelins on it when the time comes. They've always treated me right, and seem to last forever.

Super happy with the nitto highway grapplers on my dodge.

My size is 285 75 17 nitto has the highest load rating of any tire in that size.

Back