• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questionable dash button

Alaskan89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
New to me 99 WJ Laredo. As per title; From the perspective of sitting in driver's seat looking forward, behind the blind spot created by the turn/headlight arm/lever, and tilt arm/lever is a little dime sized black rocker disc/button mounted into the center of a left side lower dash panel, (below cluster), again.., hidden from direct view. It has a (O) imprinted on the upper part above the fulcrum point, and a; (l) below.., with both inscriptions in white. Upper is on, and lower is off depending on which way one depresses the button.., I imagine.

My ebay acquired 1999 owner's manual, and service manuals do not indicate the purpose of this button. In the owner's manual there is a complete frontal drawn pictorial of dash, but again, lol, that little button is hidden behind the lever arms, and the descriptions of dash board functions in that section seem to not reveal anything about this mysterious button.

I'll push button one way, or the other, and nothing seems to happen.

Anyone know, or can explain it's purpose?

a picture would really help, but i agree, doesn't sound factory. The line means closed circuit, the circle means open circuit. Vehicle manufacturers are not that generic with their switch identification.

Thanks for the replies.

Following a wire seems the best bet now. Following the idea of closed versus open circuit was my first thought too. It was open when I spotted it, so I pressed it's rocker function down, i.e., closed, and noticed no difference. Did my best to describe it for us mental folks. LOL.

Merriest Christmas all.

Interestingly enough, I recently bought a 2004 WJ and have a similar button in a similar location that looks to have been wired to aftermarket driving lights that are under the front bumper.

Thanks;
Well I am not near vehicle, but after my first post I noticed that I did not provide enough information. The dime sized flat disc that rocks upwards, and downwards is surrounded by an also flat square frame.., both in the same flat black finish. To me it appeared to be factory, in the sense that I am not familiar with those type of rocker switches. Whatever.

Still have not tried chasing down wires as there are other priority issues with this WJ. With that in mind I am sure you people are correct in it being after-market given that that switch type, and location are not seen on stock WJ's. I found that what appears to be OEM fog lights are operated by the turn-signal stock/stem/lever by pulling the end of it out, and away, i.e., physically pulling the tip outwards. That's what I thought the 'extra' button was for in order to operate the OEM fog lights.., which it did not!!!! Without obtaining an 'owner's manual' from eBay, a lot of functions would still continue to mystify me, lol. Anyways I guess now I have an extra switch to utilize, or an extra hole in which to insert another appropriate switch for whatever is required for some extra lights.., I guess.

Back