• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheeler Lake

Fred

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
El Presidente started this trip, and had to back out due to family obligations. I decided to drive up Friday night, and camp, and meet the rest on Sat. morning. I hit the trailhead about 6:30 pm, and it was a dark and stormy night. Finally found the trailhead, only to not get up the slick 45 degree rock at the start. There was a go around and I found a spot just past the mill.

On the way, looking at Eleven Mile Res.

Inside the mill.

Waterfall behind the mill.

Like a lot of the trails in CO, Wheeler has gotten rougher, and more challenging. I had to use the front locker a couple of times, and there were lines I couldn't make with just the front locker. Don't ask about the rear locker. :flamemad:

Near the top.

Not sure, but it looks like a wheeling pic.

The trail to the top. At this point I was tired of the roughness, and just not feeling up to it, so I turned back. Wimpy, wimpy, I know.

Going back down was interesting. On a V-notch I don't remember from previous runs, I slid into it, and thought the body would hit it, but the rockrail ruled. The last obstacle, v-notch, I went down very slowly, and yet, when my front wheels hit the bottom, the drivers side rear wheel decided to take trip in the air. Thought I'd get to test the roll bars for a moment. That is silly fun. :scared:

And leaving, some more fall colors shit.\

It was a good run.Last time I ran this trail was 2006 and it does seem a little more difficult (fun).

I didn't take many pics but here are a few:

Ugh...... I miss getting up there.

The XJ looks good Jeff! :thumbup:

Thanks for the pics gents!

That v-notch is a good time -- look/feel familiar, Fred (me in 2010)?:

That v-notch is a good time -- look/feel familiar, Fred (me in 2010)?:

I think that's the upper one. That one I slid into on the drivers side and rode my rockrail down the obstacle. Couple of nice Toyota trucks were on the rock to the right of the notch, and a built Sammi went up the notch, apparently that is the hard way. :dunno: Going up, I started up the notch, and then went up the wall onto the rock on the drivers side. Definitely needed a locker there.

Nice pictures!

Love that trail :greensmok

Well, come to COfest and run it with us. :)

So your saying after all my efforts to get CO Fest in the Ouray area..... I failed...:eye: Maybe I will attend and run Wheeler as it is an enjoyable trail.

Back