• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New project EB

planefixer

NAXJA Forum User
Free EB!!

My grandfather bought this Bronco new in 1968 to originally use as a hunting vehicle. In the '80s it was relegated to towing airplanes around. Sometime in the mid- '90s my Cousin needed a vehicle and Granddad gave him the Bronco. I got it safe and road-worthy so he could drive it back to NorCal. Unfortunately my Cousin was killed in a motorcyle accident in 2008 and its been sitting at my Aunt's ranch since then. She texted this afternoon and asked if I wanted it so I jumped on it - she even said she would cover the transport cost!!

I'm not planning on doing any major mods other than maybe swapping in a C-4 or C-6 auto and possibly fuel injection, maybe a small lift since it could use new springs anyway, and paint.

Some specs:
289 V8 - my cousin had it rebuilt, cant remember if he added a 4bbl carb or if its still a 2bbl.
3 speed manual - was 3 on the tree but my Cousin moved the shifter to the floor.
D30 front
D44 rear

naG0j5p.jpg

Nice, always loved those things.

Look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Yup, very clean!

Man, what a nice gift! Those have gone up in value massively in recent years, driver quality ones seem to fetch no less than $18K-$20K.

First thing I think I'd do is ignition kill switch and other anti-theft...

Very cool Jeff! :thumbup:

Just got the word: It should be here by July 13th or earlier.

It should still have less than 80K original miles. When I sent it to NorCal it had 68K on it and I don't think my cousin put very many miles on when he was driving it.
also, need to make a correction - Its got a 9" rear, not a D44.

Some more pics:

1HuQ358.jpg

CGEHdSC.jpg

n6TVpju.jpg

ySAiWXt.jpg

Super clean Jeff!

Still wearing it's original Phil Long Colorado Springs dealership emblem!

There are gonna be a whole bunch of EB fans out there jonsin' over your Bronco brutha! Congrats!

Its loaded up and on it's way. :clap:

They said it could be here by Thursday or Friday but they still need to pick up 6 more vehicles in California then transfer it to a smaller hauler in Denver so we'll see.

What ever I modify I'll make sure to do it in a way that it can returned to "stock". Any original parts that come off I'll keep stored and absolutely no cutting of sheet metal.

I haven't driven it since the early '90s but I don't remember it being a beast to drive or stop despite no power steering and brakes - 4 wheel drum brakes no less. I'll probably end up keeping the manual trans. but I might do a disc brake conversion on the front axle.

That’s awesome. I love those Broncos. I’d keep the manual too. I would even consider going back to the three on the tree if it would fit in with your other plans for it. That would be a great theft deterrent. When they saw a clutch with no floor shifter they wouldn’t know what to do.

Congratulations Jeff. This will be very cool. I love early Broncos but the fact that it's been in the family for so long is such a great story.

I've been poking around the rig & gathering information and found out some things.

Its no longer a 289. I thought my cousin had the original 289 rebuilt but my uncle informed me that a 302 crate motor was swapped in and there are less than 1K miles on the engine. Engine has an Edelbrock Performer manifold, Holly 600cfm 4bbl, a mild performance cam, dual exhaust (stock exhaust manifolds) and updated distributor (no points).

The transmission and the D20 T-case got all new seals when the engine was out.

Axles are still original (D30/9") and are factory geared 4.10.

Body-wise its solid and straight. The only cancer is on the driver side rocker and a very small hole in the driver side floorboard. I'll r&r the rocker and put a small patch on the floorboard.

Stay tuned for further updates.

Got the engine bay cleaned up today.

tBCly37.jpg

XuEQTEl.jpg

I'm going to order some Edelbrock Signature series chrome valve covers for a little underhood bling and a matching 14" x 3" air cleaner and ditch this puny 10" x 2" cleaner so the thing can breathe better. I'm also going to do plugs/wires/cap/rotor while I'm at it.

Could someone please delete posts 17 - 22. Not being able to edit posts is bullshit and is really starting to piss me off.:flamemad:

Who the hell do I contact to fix this??

Lookin' good there Jeff!

Back