• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some questions on safety equipment

I'm starting to get things together for NAC-fest, and want to make sure of a few things before I spend any more money on my Jeep.

Insurance - I assume the safety inspector will just be making sure that I have proof of insurance. I do, but it's liability only. Is that okay?

Fire extinguisher - Just a basic ABC type, right? Is there a certain size I'm supposed to have, and does it need to be mounted to the Jeep somewhere?

Jack - I hope to have a Hi-Lift before NAC-fest, but if finances don't allow it, will I pass inspection with the stock bottle jack?

Lug wrench - Do I need a separate cross-style lug wrench if I'm bringing a socket set (and small cheater bar)?

Tow strap - I know not to get one with metal hooks, but is there a 'right' kind to get? Length, width, strength rating, et c.

NAC-fest will probably be my first four-wheeling experience, so I really know almost nothing about the equipment required.

Mambeu said:
I'm starting to get things together for NAC-fest, and want to make sure of a few things before I spend any more money on my Jeep.

Insurance - I assume the safety inspector will just be making sure that I have proof of insurance. I do, but it's liability only. Is that okay?

Yes it Is

Fire extinguisher - Just a basic ABC type, right? Is there a certain size I'm supposed to have, and does it need to be mounted to the Jeep somewhere?

ABC is fine, best place to mount is right next to the drivers seat in the door jamb

Jack - I hope to have a Hi-Lift before NAC-fest, but if finances don't allow it, will I pass inspection with the stock bottle jack?

Yes

Lug wrench - Do I need a separate cross-style lug wrench if I'm bringing a socket set (and small cheater bar)?

No, a socket set with cheater bar is fine

Tow strap - I know not to get one with metal hooks, but is there a 'right' kind to get? Length, width, strength rating, et c.

20 feet x 2inch wide 10000lb or larger is fine

NAC-fest will probably be my first four-wheeling experience, so I really know almost nothing about the equipment required.

See answers in Quote. Make sure you have front/rear tow points and have your battery secured. Also a fullsize spare is necessary.

Last edited:
lobsterdmb said:
See answers in Quote. Make sure you have front/rear tow points and have your battery secured. Also a fullsize spare is necessary.
I have one front tow hook and two rear tow hooks, a fullsize spare and a secured battery, so it sounds like I only need a fire extinguisher and strap. Thanks!

Mambeu said:
I have one front tow hook and two rear tow hooks

Having hooks is good, but how are they mounted? Badly mounted is worse than nothing at all.

Rob

Rob Mayercik said:
Having hooks is good, but how are they mounted? Badly mounted is worse than nothing at all.

Rob
They're from 4x4trailhunters.com.
This is my front (sorry about the huge pic):

271_7112.jpg

My back ones aren't mounted quite yet, so this is photo is from the trailhunters web site:

detailed_image_1390.jpg

There's a nutstrip inside the framerail and an l-shaped bracket below it, and the hook mounts to the underside of that.

I have to admit that I've not seen that design before for a front hook mount.

Between the pics and what I read on the vendor's web site, they sound ok to me.

However, since I'm not exactly the most mechanically inclined of folks, perhaps one of the more fabrication-minded folks can chime in here and offer a more experienced opinion? (It's not that I don't trust you, it's that I don't necessarily trust my opinion on something like this just yet)

Rob

Does anyone else have an opinion on my tow hooks? I don't see how they wouldn't be okay, but if they aren't, I'd rather find out now than during the safety inspection.

And I bought a fire extinguisher, first-aid kit, and tow strap (2"x30', 18,000 lbs) today, so I should be set safety-equipment-wise.

Mambeu said:
Does anyone else have an opinion on my tow hooks? I don't see how they wouldn't be okay, but if they aren't, I'd rather find out now than during the safety inspection.

And I bought a fire extinguisher, first-aid kit, and tow strap (2"x30', 18,000 lbs) today, so I should be set safety-equipment-wise.

Better then alot of folks

Back