• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How can I mount a 31" tire on the factory spare tire mount?

Hey all,

I know I read (either on here or over at the Jeep Forum) a write-up of how to mount an oversized spare tire to the factory spare tire mount in the trunk. I want to do just that, but I've searched exhaustively and can't seem to find the thread with pics...

Thanks!

remove the bracket at the bottom. its 4 bolts.

depending on the bolt you have that holds the spare (ive seen some with more offset than others) you may be able to reuse the half sphere retainer thing. i didnt, i just put the bolt through the rim as if it were a lug. screwed down the wing nut thing.

it looks like it hangs out and would hit the rear hatch, but it doesnt. the hatch closes just fine. some say you need to massage the fender well with a BFH, i didnt. anything bigger and your going to have to move the mounting brackets that hold the seat back forward.

it looks like it hangs out and would hit the rear hatch, but it doesnt. the hatch closes just fine.

I'd be interested to hear if this works on her '99 - it doesn't on my 2000. Unlatching one or both sides of the rear seats made no difference, FWIW.

some say you need to massage the fender well with a BFH, i didnt. anything bigger and your going to have to move the mounting brackets that hold the seat back forward.

I never had an issue with the fender well or roof clearance either - it just won't stand upright and still let the hatch close.

I'd be interested to hear if this works on her '99 - it doesn't on my 2000. Unlatching one or both sides of the rear seats made no difference, FWIW.

I never had an issue with the fender well or roof clearance either - it just won't stand upright and still let the hatch close.

mine sits crooked but doesnt move. clearance isnt a problem with the hatch, but i have to squeeze it under the speaker bar. i can take a few pictures if you would like.

my seat is latched on both sides.

mine sits crooked but doesnt move. clearance isnt a problem with the hatch, but i have to squeeze it under the speaker bar. i can take a few pictures if you would like.

my seat is latched on both sides.
What year is yours though? My 96 fit a 30 no problem in the stock spot. My 33 now, of course is laying down on the floor. :D

crappy pics cause its dark and on my phone... but you get the idea... you can also note that my spare is VERY worn down. itll depend on the actual dimensions of your "31" as they are not all the same.

held down:
l_d9f233f646584b33b05d43d8dc12a93c.jpg

tight squeeze:
l_e0afb54e2dea4342b78ec1a4c546dca0.jpg

and here you can see just how much it hangs out. if you can squeeze it in behind the tail light and have it sit on the fender well, the hatch should close on the late models:
l_36ac8e79e4df43c4b8f21ee20254fc93.jpg

Dammit, I could swear I've done exactly the same thing but it Just Doesn't Fit. The soundbar is no issue for me either - but like I said, it would just never clear the hatch.

Back to the roof carrier, I guess.

Let the air out,and it will fit fine.

Thanks sooo much guys for all your help! Just to clarify, it's a 31" BFG Rugged Trail (the closest thing the dealer could get to my 31" BFG A/Ts)...I'll take measurements tomorrow to get the exact dimensions...

take measurements? just use their website.... is the tire new? thats probably the problem.

overall diameter on the BFG rugged trail = 30.7":
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/name/rugged-trail-t-a-tires?

overall diameter of my Claw = 30.5":
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/truck.php?item=BajaClawRadial

now consider the fact that my almost 3/4" deep tread is close to bald on my spares... your going to have to drop the PSI and squeeze it in or move the seat brackets. i vote move the brackets.

Back