• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Very Sad News Today....(Kent "Lion Grrrr" Nelson)

Re: Very Sad News Today....

Through tears, Spud has edited & produced a short video of Lion's recent audition for the On The Rocks TV show. http://www.roughwheelers.com/pix/v/lion/LionsAuditionMed.mov.html
Once there, you can click on "Memories of Lion" at the top left to see photos (Mostly of Lion) that others have uploaded.
You are welcome & encouraged to make an account and add photos to your album. And/or comments. Lion always loved getting comments!

We are orgainzing a Memorial service for Lion now. We are talking about maybe Thursday eve, or Sat/Sun afternoon. We may also plan a memorial ash scattering run too. More news as it develops.
Best,
Montego atRoughWheelers.com

Click to view video

IMG_0035Large.JPG

DSC04003.JPG

I think I met Lion on my first SoCalXJ Jamboree, where he misunderstood my name as Bernard, I attempted to correct him the next few times we ran into each other either at a get together or wheeling but it never took.

You will be missed my Friend... God's Speed!
Bernard (aka Brendan)

P.S. Grrrrrrrr!

Wouldn't be cool if those going to the funeral/memorial service all bought a little stuffed lion like he had, brought it with us in our Jeeps then either kept them or donated them to a hospital (childrens) in his honor. Brings a tear to my eye thinking about it.

I remember that Death Valley run Marisha lead for NAXJA and "the killer kitchen sink omelette" that Stephen mentioned of Lion's.

After hearing the news it made me sad to think about all the e-mails he had sent to me with his photo albums which I hadn't looked at yet. Myself and others shared that love with Lion of the outdoors, scenic beauty, and photography. He will be greatly missed and it's nice to see everyones photos/stories/compassion here.

I will definitetly take a day or time of work as needed to go to pay my respects, now to put some stuff back on my Jeep so I can have something respectable to drive there.

MJR said:
Wouldn't be cool if those going to the funeral/memorial service all bought a little stuffed lion like he had, brought it with us in our Jeeps then either kept them or donated them to a hospital (childrens) in his honor. Brings a tear to my eye thinking about it.quote]

I was just thinking the same thing, Great minds think alike!

any news on his services date and time?

[FONT=&quot]Hello,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I'm sending this to you because you are a friend of Lion (Kent Nelson).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]With a heavy heart I sadly report that Lion passed away last week in his sleep of an apparent heart attack. He lived a great life, and will be sorely missed by his many friends. Lion danced to the beat of his own drummer, and as someone pointed out to me yesterday; Some people leave this world with their music still inside them, but not the Lion! He was a real individual character. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There will be a memorial service for Lion on Saturday 3/15/08 at 2pm. We hope you can attend. Please spread the word to others that need to know.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]All of Lion's friends are welcome & invited, so pass the word. PLEASE RSVP to [email protected] with your name(s) & how many attending so we can try to get the correct amount of food. We need to know ASAP, (like Monday would be great). [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Please plan to attend. Lion would enjoy knowing that all his friends got together for a party in his honor and memory. Friends meant the world to Lion. And I can almost guarantee that you will meet some fun & interesting people. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When: 2pm Saturday March 15, 2008. (also see event #2 below)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Where: Las Brisas Mexican Restaurant [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] (huge party room & patio with a view is downstairs) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1969 Artesia Blvd[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (at Green)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Redondo Beach[/FONT][FONT=&quot], CA 90278[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This is just a 3 or 4 miles south of LAX airport. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Google Map:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]<http://tinyurl.com/3yhqau>[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We have the room for as much as 5 hours, so plan to arrive at 2pm and stay if you can. If you have Lion photos or memorabilia to display, a Lion story, some words to say, an especially Lion-ishly written message, or anything to share, please bring it. I don't know if we will have a way to play it, but if you have some music that Lion liked, please feel free to bring the cd. Participation is encouraged. You may of course take your items back with you when you leave. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dress casually. If you want to wear short pants and a red shirt that's perfectly ok. So are Hawaiian shirts. Or formal wear. Whatever you feel is appropriate. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]LION EVENT NUMBER TWO:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There will also be another Lion Memorial gathering. In the near future we will be doing a 4x4 desert trip and ashes will be scattered. The wildflowers are really great this year! If you want to be included in this, tell [email protected] to include you in the 4x4 Lion memorial announcement. This event date is TBD, but will be not be before 3/20/08. It will be a weekend trip. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lion Memorial website:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] http://www.roughwheelers.com/pix/v/lion/[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hope to see you soon (and Please RSVP)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Montego[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 310-722-2966[/FONT]

GrimmJeeper said:
thanks for posting this, i'll be there for sure.

Was just about to post this, but somewhat beat me to it.

In any event, the restaurant event is the Calico weekend, so I know a bunch of people will be there. I won't be able to make either. But I sent him an e-mail to be informed when the wheeling event is. I'm down.

We had at least 10 XJ'rs on Friday night at Kevin's toast him, several times in fact
Celebrating_Emoticon.gif

Don't forget what zzyzx said....

[FONT=&quot]PLEASE RSVP to [email protected] with your name(s) & how many attending[/FONT]

I'll miss the first as I'm not going to be back in california in time.

I won't miss the second.

I never knew Lion, sounds like one of those few characters in life that really stand out for the genuine uniqueness he shared with others.
In the 6 pages I've read I'm sad to not have known him, or wheeled with him.

Now he may wheel beyond the "Gates"

Now i am truly sad at the fact that I will be in Moab on Saturday and unable to attend this gathering.

I think on Saturday i will hike to the top of Lion's Back, have a few beers & think about the good times that I was fortunate enough to have shared with Lion.

Sad to hear the news.
Lion had the unique ability to befriend anyone he encountered around the campfire and treat them like an old friend.

Back