• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The New Clutch

bburge

Lost in Translation
So after busting my slave cylinder on Holcomb Creek on Saturday and getting down the mountain via flatbed - I felt that it was probably a minor failure but would require replacing _everything_ inside the bell housing.

I was wrong and we did the right thing.

The REAL work begins:

P1000221-6x4.jpg

This was no minor failure!

P1000225-6x4.jpg

A lot of it was melted and wrapped around the trans input shaft:

P1000226-6x4.jpg

Some of the melted plastic had to be broken from around the shaft:

P1000232-6x4.jpg

It's mostly back together. I have to hook the sensors, drive shafts and exhaust, bleed the system - then make sure it all works.

All the images (most that the few here) are available in 800x600 (though they don't a lot of tech detail) at http://www.4footed.com/images/hits/clutch/

and the full size versions at http://www.4footed.com/images/hits/clutch/big/

bburge

Ouch.

So do you think that was caused by slipping clutch overheating things or ???

BTW How long did it take overall? Two Guys? I see you got the tranny jack, good call.

Some of the cooking may have been from the driving I had to do afterwards without a clutch. I don't think I was driving any wilder than I usually do.

It was a clutch, pressure plate, bearing/slave that had almost 258K miles on it...

bburge

What clutch brand did you put in?I put a Luk pro gold clutch in my jeep it can take a hard beating.I put some off brand clutch the first time that was a joke.It lasted about two weeks.Almost went crazy haveing to pull drive shafts,center support,those two f-ing bolts on the top of the bell houseing,exhaust,oil twice in a month and starter.good luck!

TackerT said:
What clutch brand did you put in?I put a Luk pro gold clutch in my jeep it can take a hard beating.I put some off brand clutch the first time that was a joke.It lasted about two weeks.Almost went crazy haveing to pull drive shafts,center support,those two f-ing bolts on the top of the bell houseing,exhaust,oil twice in a month and starter.good luck!

I went with the Luk Pro Gold. How easy is your pedal to push - mine seems too easy.

As for the top two bolts, there's a secret that makes them almost easy...

What do you mean when you said "oil"?

bburge

Transfer case oil and tranny.It was a little soft but not much more then stock.It seem to stiffen up after 1000miles on it.Jack up the rear end and have some one turn the drive shaft while you push the clutch in.

Top two bolts are easy if you can tilt the tranny/xfer case down. Long extension with a swivel on the E?? socket. Or I think 3/8 12 point.

bburge said:
It's an E12, but the secret is to NOT use a swivel... ;)

bburge

I forget if I used a swivel or not when I pulled the AX-15 at the bone yard. I had serious help though. Shot motor mounts so the trans would drop REEEEEAAAL far :D

We called Remi and he gave us the REAL secret.

I'd tell you, but I'd not want to steal his thunder! He said it was for the right (starter) side one, but when it came time to put them back we did BOTH that way.

Wait, I shall summon Remi... guns, guns, guns, guns

bburge

bburge said:
We called Remi and he gave us the REAL secret.

I'd tell you, but I'd not want to steal his thunder! He said it was for the right (starter) side one, but when it came time to put them back we did BOTH that way.

Wait, I shall summon Remi... guns, guns, guns, guns

bburge
LOL.... you mean the secret that deals with going through a certain secret hole? :D

And speaking of guns... I just acquired a REALLY nice rifle ;) Can you say custom shop remington 700? :D

Kejtar said:
LOL.... you mean the secret that deals with going through a certain secret hole? :D

Hey, I thought that was MY secret. Well, I guess we thought of it together. :)

xjohnnyc said:
Hey, I thought that was MY secret. Well, I guess we thought of it together. :)

Jesus boys, didn't you ever learn what happens on the Rubicon stays on the Rubicon?

Well,I guess now I know why Johnny rolled...

GSequoia said:
Jesus boys, didn't you ever learn what happens on the Rubicon stays on the Rubicon?

Well,I guess now I know why Johnny rolled...

Yeah two people trying to find the secret little hole.

Back