• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I really appreciate true Jeep people

Eagle

Lifetime NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
As some folks here know, I expended considerable time, energy, and money to refurbish an '88 XJ Laredo for an ex-girlfriend who moved to Montana. Drove it out there a month ago, lost the rear main seal on the way, and I paid her local shop to replace it. She had wanted to spend $1000. By the time the rear main seal was done, I was into it for$1700, plus gasoline and motels to deliver it from Connecticut to Montana, plus bus fare home from Montana.

Kelley Blue Book says her XJ is worth $2605. So she got a $2600 XJ for $1000, and I got hosed for about the same.

Fast forward to today -- received a very curt e-mail from her saying there is some oil dripping from somewhere, and she wishes "all these problems" had been discovered before the vehicle left Connecticut. (So do I!)

By way of contrast, one of "the Fleet" left here today. 1986 MJ 4-banger. Bought sight unseen (although I sent him photos) by a fellow member of the NAC. He drove in from PA, said it looked better than he expected, and happily (I hope) hooked it up to tow home. I sold it to him for just what I paid for it, having accomplished my goal of keeping it out of the hands of "shags" (such as the guy from whom I bought it) and other assorted types who would destroy it in short order.

Ya just gotta appreciate someone who understands that a 15+ year old vehicle with close to 200,000 miles on the clock is probably going to need a few things, and not hold it against you for not finding ALL of them.

[/rant]

Bloody! I'd been meaning to ask you how that MT trip turned out. Sounds like it was more of a pain than it was worth in the first place (the question occurs, "Why'd you do it?" Sorry - had to ask!)

By the by, my 88 Laredo with 228K on it runs like a beast - except when I need to beat my brains around a problem (like losing the CPS against the exhaust manifold a few days ago...)

I think people are no longer able to comprehend the concept of "wear over time" and that various parts DO wear out (just ask me about knees...) as they are used. There's nothing what can be done about it, and it will just need to be fixed. I only wish TRW made new knees...

5-90

Eagle-

You sold the dark blue longbed? That was a nice truck. Who'd it go to? I didn't make it to Moab, BTW, so I'll be up to visit sometime over the next few weeks.

try owning a used car lot !!! I sell cars that are 10 years old and people expect everything to work just like new. There are some things that just cant be made like new. A couple was looking at a corsica I had and wanted to know if I would replace the weather stripping before I sold it...good grief...

wow eagle.....your a much better person than i would be in that situation.....(i wouldnt have gone through the trouble for an ex). Sorry she outed you money and time and now expects more....

Lawn Cher' said:
Eagle-

You sold the dark blue longbed? That was a nice truck. Who'd it go to? I didn't make it to Moab, BTW, so I'll be up to visit sometime over the next few weeks.

It went to Bill Brown, NAC's own Search and Rescue mavin. Believe it or not, he intends to use it as ... a pickup truck (GASP!)

Yep, I would be the proud new owner of the '86 MJ :D ... and it was better than expected! Should have tags on it tomorrow, and then I'll start going over everything.

My XJ just wasn't working for day to day hauling for house remodeling and such, not to mention it gets poor gas mileage ... the the MJ should fit the bill just fine for these duties!

BTW, I flat towed the MJ with the XJ and had no major troubles. Average speed was 50-60 mph, with hills at 45 mph. The XJ only got 9-10 mpg though :eek:

Flat towing...

Flat towing isn't that bad if you have it set up correctly. I've used my '87 MJ for flat towing my XJ from Deptford, NJ to Paragon, PA and North Adams, MA and back several times, in addition to transporting my '89 Eliminator from Geneva, NY to Dushore, PA to Madison, NJ to Deptford, NJ (3 trips for one clunker, sheesh.) I also hauled my brother's '69 Mustang from Madison to Phillipsburg, NJ (worst tow ever, manual steering on the 'stang didn't track nicely in curves.) I towed a '81 F150 Ranger from Franklinville to Pennsville, NJ. Also conducted a noble MJ rescue mission from New Bedford, MA to the Eagle's nest, Woodbridge, CT.

For lightweight tow vehicles a-la XJ/MJ, added trailer weight can be cumbersome. I think the only benefit to using a trailer is the potential for added braking. So the time I towed Peterbuilt's orange monster from Princeton, NJ to Paragon and back on a very sad tandem axle, no brakes, no suspension trailer (yes, huge axle tubes welded to trailer frame!) was probably the worst pull I've done. Hauling up the hill from Red Ridge Lake Campground I felt like I was driving an old schoolbus, having to downshift eventually to 1st gear. Also, tongue weight distribution becomes very critical, ask me how I know!

Tow safely!

Umm, Mr Eagle, I've gone above and beyond the call of duty before for 'current' girlfriends, but at least at the time I was getting something in return, if you know what I mean.

EX girl friend, across the country, still subsidising her transportation? Does someone still have a heart-on for this girl, or is she the mother of your children?

Just ribbing, but seriously, you GAVE her reliable transportation, delivered to her door, and she bitches about a little oil leak!! Sheesh, tell her it's an active rust preventive system for the underside and go buy some 10w-40 at the store.......

I'm thinking I understand why she's an Ex!!
FWIW, my wife checks her own oil, and will top it off if it is low - grabs the kitty litter to soak up the drips and lets me know all about it!!!!(I get some once a week, tonight's my night!!!)

"received a very curt e-mail from her saying there is some oil dripping from somewhere"

Tell her Jeeps don't leak oil....they mark thier territory.

Rev

Cheropair said:
I'm thinking I understand why she's an Ex!!

:anon: You got it in one! Proceed to the head of the class.

Back