• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going full hydro steering

Fullsizexj

NAXJA Forum User
well I have finally gotten into this project, I now have the ram fully mounted and am gonna remove the AGR power steering box and pump tomorrow and rplace it with a non resevoir pump, I plan to run an external resevoir/filter and a Dan Foss load reactive orbital valve that I purchased from Station over on the pirate bbs. I have Vintagespeed picking up all the fittings and hoses for me since this is the exact same system he just installed and he has the exact list of fitings I will need
1289652-P4130004.jpg

That'll never work.

-jb

Fullsizexj said:
well I have finally gotten into this project, I now have the ram fully mounted and am gonna remove the AGR power steering box and pump tomorrow and rplace it with a non resevoir pump, I plan to run an external resevoir/filter and a Dan Foss load reactive orbital valve that I purchased from Station over on the pirate bbs. I have Vintagespeed picking up all the fittings and hoses for me since this is the exact same system he just installed and he has the exact list of fitings I will need

How much is the whole thing costing ya?
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
How much is the whole thing costing ya?
Billy

someone just had a different full hydro post (vintagespeed?) in the last week or so and they outlined some of the major costs. if i recall; $475 for orbital, $60 for single ended ram, probably about $100 for lines and fittings, factor in some money for an extra resevoir and/or cooler. when i was considering full hydro, i figured i would need to budget about $800. i decide against it, but looking back, going crossover steering and hydro-assist will probably run me up around $600 anyway... hmm

mad maXJ said:
someone just had a different full hydro post (vintagespeed?) in the last week or so and they outlined some of the major costs. if i recall; $475 for orbital, $60 for single ended ram, probably about $100 for lines and fittings, factor in some money for an extra resevoir and/or cooler. when i was considering full hydro, i figured i would need to budget about $800. i decide against it, but looking back, going crossover steering and hydro-assist will probably run me up around $600 anyway... hmm

The $475 is including the reservoir/filter/cooler unit.

In all, the crossover + hydro assist will probably cost you the same or more: steering arms $140 +++, DOM tubing $80 +++, Heims $240, AGR box $350, good ram $60 +++, fittings/hose $100 +++, spares $???

Another thing to consider with ram assist is that the ram has to follow perfectly with the steering box, if the steering box stops & the ram doesn't (or vice versa) something's gonna snap. This is why you see guys bitching about busting steering arms off their junk.......

Also the torque multiplication that goes along with ram assist is scary. The box generates force on the steering arm, the ram generates force on the steering arm, and YOU generate force on the steering arm.......uhhh yeah that's a perfect setup. :)

Hinky, I know I dont wheel, but if I did I'd let you feel this steering at speed & in the rocks, you might just eat your words.

-jb

Last edited:
vintagespeed said:
Hinky, I know I dont wheel, but if I did I'd let you feel this steering at speed & in the rocks, you might just eat your words.

-jb

Keep dreaming in your garage!

Unless you went double it ain't going to drive good on the street and even then you ain't going to get too far.

hinkley

Mark Hinkley said:
Keep dreaming in your garage!

Unless you went double it ain't going to drive good on the street and even then you ain't going to get too far.

hinkley

So far I've put about 300 highway miles on it. 70 on the freeway with no problem. Drove to JV & back with my kids in it, twice to Monrovia for training and twice to work. Gotta love it.

It rides better than it ever did since stock, short arms just plain suck at more than 6" lift.

No strange tendancies, the only thing I'd do different is get a steering valve (incorrectly called an orbital valve) that was fewer turns per second, this slows down the steering response a little bit, it's a bit twitchy at speed, but I dont drive it like it's a Ferrari.

We're doing Shredder in May Hinky, if you're up to it....

-jb

vintagespeed said:
No strange tendancies, the only thing I'd do different is get a steering valve (incorrectly called an orbital valve) that was fewer turns per second, this slows down the steering response a little bit, it's a bit twitchy at speed, but I dont drive it like it's a Ferrari.

-jb

Ah, didn't you just contradict yourself, JB? :)

"No strange tendancies.......slows down steering response.....it's a bit twitchy at speed...."

I'm working on mine to lean towards pre-running ability......full hydro just isn't in the cards. I'm not unhappy enough with my current steering, even with 37's, to be motivated to get the hydro-assist on. Of course, I don't have 38's or 40's.........but I wheel a lot. :D

vintagespeed said:
So far I've put about 300 highway miles on it. 70 on the freeway with no problem. Drove to JV & back with my kids in it, twice to Monrovia for training and twice to work. Gotta love it.

We're doing Shredder in May Hinky, if you're up to it....

-jb

For one, Most single sided rams don't drive nice, maybe your junk drove really bad before and now it doesn't.

two, full hydro is way illegal on the street.

three, might not want the kids in the car when a cop pulls you over, might get you for child endangerment.

four, If you're driving out to shredder, let me know so I'm not on the same road as you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I'm in town and haven't moved yet and still have time, I'll try and make it.

mark

GSequoia said:
Forgive the blatent ignorance here, I don't know jack about hydro steering and am not afraid to say it...

But if you stall on the freeway at speed...aren't you F'd?

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hinkley

Back