• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

117a alternator on a '98 4.0

asymptonic

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
A few months ago I replaced my stock alternator. Unfortunately, I mistakenly go the 90a version and later found out my build sheet specified the 117a version. No big deal, she ran great though the alternator was definitely louder with a more pronounced whine. In the last couple of weeks though, the whine has gotten MUCH louder and I think it may be going out on me.

I'd like to find a closer match to replace it with, but obviously the OEM Denso 117a isn't still available. I'm not comfortable grinding the bracket right now, and don't have time to upgrade the wiring for a higher output alternator. (Plus I don't have any real power needs over stock).

tldr: What ~120a alternator should I pick up that's a direct bolt in, good quality, and in the neighborhood of 120a?

Not sure. I know on the older 91-94-95 XJ the alternators normally had a much higher peak load out put than 90, although that's what they were rated for.

I searched on car-part.com and found a few junk yards that say they have a 117, rock auto shows a couple of higher amp alternators too but I'm not sure if they are the same as what you had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely not exactly the same. The stock was a Nippondenso 117a. I can grab the markings off it in a bit. Anyone have broad brand recommendations?

Searching around, I think your right. It may have been rated 90a and peaked at 117. I guess the Omix-Ada I got was a lemon?

56005685AB is the mopar number I get for the denso number. eBay has a few 117a alternators, not sure on their part #'s

Omix-ada quality has slipped big time, had a belt pulley from them destroy itself in a very short span of time. After it broke I noticed on the box it said made in china, I'm guessing they outsourced production to a cheaper Chinese company with poor QC.
Do you have a warranty you can use for them ?

Far as brands go I've had good luck with TYC new alternators for our jeep and nippondenso rebuilt and new starters and alternators for our toyotas. Also their radiator were an exact match for the oem Toyota for a fraction of the cost.
Although it looks like nippondenso may be outsourcing to china too now.

Great, thanks. I was leaning towards Remy or TYC. Don't happen to know which'd be quieter? I hate the sound of a whiny alternator.

The new TYC is still quiet after a year of constant use. Remy is or was a good name. I think a denso rebuilt would be ok too.
But I do know the TYC 2-13341 has work out well for us so far.

Glad it worked out for you! The test sheet We got with ours had good numbers for peak charging .
Even though I believe it's a Chinese product the quality seems very good.

Interestingly, I feel like I have better acceleration in 1st and 2nd. Is this a placebo effect or is it possibly related?

Back