• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So how about Sandy?

XJLI

NAXJA Forum User
east coasters... are your supermarkets void of milk, eggs, and bread? local news media interviewing people as they board up their windows? apparently this storm is gonna be real nasty. i'm throwing the front end of my jeep back together right after work today and preparing for lots of flooding, downed trees, etc.

i pulled this from wunderground, pretty crazy stuff.

If Sandy hits Long Island, as the GFS model predicts, the storm surge will be capable of over-topping the flood walls in Manhattan and flooding portions of the New York City subway system. Fresh water flooding from heavy rains is also a huge concern. Rainfall amounts of 5 - 10 inches will occur over several hundred mile-long swath of coast, with isolated amounts of 15 inches possible.

DC itself is actually an amazing place, it just gets a bad name because the idiots who run our country are there as well. I spent a week there back in May, and it was absolutely amazing with all of the history that place has.

As for the storm, yeah, this looks like it could get really, really bad. My mom and sister live just outside of DC, I hope they will be OK.

Watching the DC news,right now,---Water seems to be the hot item. Power issues,downed trees are always a big problem over there,,,,,
Out in the Valley,we will clean the leaves out of the gutters,check the Pepsi supply,lock up the Chickens and keep the 870 at the ready,,,,

Its already raining here from a disturbance coming in from the west. They are calling on high winds, heavy rain which all equal power outages here in the mountains.

My brother and my oldest son live in the Bolston area of Arlington/Alexandria. You can't stir the idiots with a stick up there but its a cool place to visit.

EDIT: I just saw a prediction of snow here in the mountains for late Monday. That should make life interesting if it happens.

Last edited:
we're tying everything down here on the beach-- not so much for the wind, as for the tidal surge. It will take your posessions and give them to someone else down the street (kinda like our current President....)

At least ill get a chance to back out of the house I'm closing on Wednesday if the storm takes it out. Costco was devoid of all essentials, I was gonna go to harbor freight and grab the generator they have on sale but pretty sure they are all gone, might be the third straight move with no power

I'm headed into the city today for the photo plus expo, it's gorgeous out. Once I'm home I'm gassing up the jeep and a fuel can, stocking up on beer and a foods. Got gas in the grill and in my camping stove, water is no problem where I am its all artesian wells. My buddy who works for the FD has been working nonstop prepping their trucks and gear.

Hang in there Boys! I think this is gonna be a rough storm and the winter isn't gonna be so nice either.

Still blue skies but the winds were starting to pick up before I got on the train a few minutes ago. My buddy and I might take a drive out to Montauk Monday to check out the waves if I end up getting off work.

LIPA (long island power association) website is telling us to prepare for 7-10 days without power. My neighbor next door is some sort foreman for a private airline and plans on bringing home the tow-behind crazy generator home after hours to power up a few of us on the block if needed. My gf's house is almost on the water, north shore though, not the ocean, and if they lose power it will be for a while. They have a genny to keep the fridge going though. I'm ready for the worst, storm track currently says landfall Friday at 7pm south of nyc. I'm probably gonna be on standby for family down in long beach, but I'm sure they'll head up north early to my aunt's house if they need to. I'm sure the flooding all over is gonna be insane, I kinda want to throw a cowl intake on my jeep quick tomorrow.

Back