• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What I Learned At The Crawl - 2016 Edition

UNCC_99XJ

Twisted Up
NAXJA Member
1. Black Mountain gets really dusty when there hasn't been any rain for a few days.

2. Cherries soaking in alcohol are a pretty big success, especially around hobag.

3. Cabins are still the way to go.

4. A small chunk of rubber floor mat makes a pretty decent shock bushing when you need one in a hurry.

5. I thought I could get through my abbreviated speech about Aaron's plaque with out choking up - I was wrong.

6. Hobag is going to be eating crockpot meals for a long time to come.

7. Fish Fossil gets more and more intense with each year.

8. I still wouldn't trade any of these trips for anything.

1. As nice as cabins are, I wish the shower was tall enough to fully stand up in, and the beds were long enough to fully stretch out in

2. Locked front and rear is a better set up

3. It's dusty up in them thar hills

4. The average household yearly salary in Harlan Co is $25,000.

5. The Harlan bowling alley closed 3 years ago, but still has an active website

6. I need a bullhorn next year for the raffle to talk over the crowd noise.

7. My girls aren't as interested in trail riding as they used to be (sad face)

8. It takes a 5 minute rain storm and $5 in quarters to wash Harlan off my Jeep.

9. Redneck pinstriping was the body mod of the year for me this year

10. My Jeep is no where near done...

1. The dust isn't a problem is you're leading.

2. RV is the way to go.

3. Fish Fossil is doable on 33's.

4. If you buy 100 raffle tickets you get to rip half of them yourself.

5. The raffle was not rigged.

6. Not all SxS owners are complete douchebags but most of them are. You GONNA turn those damn lights off.

7. If you rip your exhaust off and short out your O2 sensors and your Jeep starts running like crap... check the O2 sensor circuit fuse in the PDC under the hood.

8. Most people don't run 30mph up the mountain.

9. There's poison oak somewhere in Lower Rock Garden.

10. Winch cable doubles as an upper control arm.

dont overfill your fuel cell
hood stacks can make people sick
tired renix and 35s made the exit of fish fossil not possible
check that your winch works before unspooling half of the cable
ho is set for gifts for a while
boosted V6s own the hills of the kentucky
credit cards were not an acceptable form of raffle ticket payment
the exit of mason jar is when all the carnage happens
im getting past the point of being able to tell if i got a new dent

1) Jeep got it right with the LJ Rubicon
2) Said jeep can do some pretty amazing things (would have been more if I trusted the rocker protection)
3) if you take out the tcase drop kit check and make sure your linkage works and that the jackass before you didn't do a linkage drop.
4) owning a jeep after someone else can be a pia.
5) you can rewire lockers on the trail (now they come on whenever I want)
6) Molly wonders how many blowies it would take for Brad to buy her an LJ
7) Dinner being delayed can lead to an extra drunk Hobag
8) Double fisting Vodka and sprites multiple times before dinner can lead to an extra drunk hobag.
9) Crockpots can in fact be traded for other stuff(I kept one for the wife).
10) Driving a jeep 4 hours is not as bad as I remember.
11) MTR's really are that good.

1. Ironman earned his name with no hydro assist, power steering, or hydro brakes...

2. Trail leading is not so bad

3. You don't get many pics of your rig as a trail leader

4. The weather was awesome this year!

5. I want long arms!

6. Harlan is a cool old town... Might come up early next year to check stuff out more.

7. I need to do more wheeling!

-I like Hobag, we could have some fun together ;)
-Towing a gooseneck is like a dream
-Carbon monoxide poisoning is not fun
-Hoodstack was the worst mod ever
-I love the terrain
-EOR guys like to shotgun beers, but none of them can beat me .!.:D.!.
-Check for toilet paper before being committed
-D300's suck

(Wade) a not so tired Renix and 37's don't make the Fish Fossil Exit (this year) any easier.

Pinball oh pinball...wherefore art thou pinball? One year you kick my ass...then the next year I kick yours...we're tied now.

Being drier this year helped a LOT.

Keeping a long bed MJ body straight eventually isn't realistic.

Rattlesnakes will spit out food to be able to coil up and defend themselves.

Copperheads are scary...they're too quiet.

I hope if I ever bring my SxS up there I don't act like some of those folks this year. :(

34" LTB's are AWESOME tires. (Mark!!)

Having one of your best friends with you that hasn't been to a CRAWL in many years makes it even better. Next year he needs to bring his Jeep! (YellowXJ)

Listening to the GoPro video made me realize just how many noises my MJ makes...kinda surprised it holds together!

I also learned 28 CD's is only enough for 3 outta 4 days of driving. And that in 2000 miles I used 165 gallons of diesel and spent $400 just on fuel

LOL. Never leave a good part on the trail.

A long time ago in Tellico I found a wire coat hanger in the trail and an old timer told me to hold onto it because someone would need it for repairs...and we did.

This crawl I saw a rusty disc in the muddy ditch next to the trail. I pried it out and knocked the dirt off...it was a drive flange with a broken axle still stuck in it. I set it on a rock. The next day 043500's new Warn hub popped while my daughter was driving out of rail bed. I remembered the flange and cabz drove me over to pick it up. Turned out, after group donations of wire brush, wd40, and cabz's 15 min flange restoration, that it smoothly fit the front D60 and worked the rest of the crawl. Someone has pictures of the restoration.

Thanks for the ride 043500 and cabz. I'd forgot how great it was just to hang out with great friends and wheel. Fell back in love with the crawl atmosphere after not being at one for almost a decade. Walked the campground a lot checking out rigs for ideas. Met some old friends, made some new ones, and wheeled like I haven't in a long time.

I do know I'll be a lot thinner next crawl, will have to cut out food expense to save money so I can get 2 or 3 rigs there so the family can wheel.

I wasn't the oldest at the event.....
You all have learned and experienced what I did in 2002.....
I have not missed a Crawl in 14 years and will not miss 2017.....
I love the Harlan trails more than Tellico...... :gag: :shhh:
I need to find more motor.....
Camping and wheeling with a significant other is the best....
My girl makes great trail sandwiches and does a good job at "getting Video!" :rof:
You guys give me more shit then my x but I think it's out of :loveu:

1. Two weeks after the event I'm still fighting poison ivy/oak. After a shot, I'm on a steroid pack and a special cream to help dry it out. From my knees down they are blistered and red. I must have got in the same patch that 87Manche did years ago.
2. Manifold food was great - Tim and Erica hooked my family up with cheese steak hot pockets and they were delicious.
3. I led my smallest group ever on Saturday - 3 rigs.
4. The Portal pizza restaurant has awesome calzones. I think we have a new Wednesday night tradition.
5. Finally got to drive from Evarts to Harlan on Hwy 38. Not much there. I wanted to see the actual Brookside exit and I think I blinked.
6. Seeing a logging truck pop out of nowhere on the trails will scare the crap out of you.
7. Aaron's Roalroad Shed run was fun but the trail had been "paved" by the logging company. It was so different than last year.
8. The entrance to Mason Jar was spectacular - first time I've been there. Beautiful views.
9. The sunset runs to the Hawkeye Overlook and the Helicopter pad were worth the view.
10. Candied bacon is off the hook - thanks Jason.
11. I made 6 trips up the mountain this year. That's a record for me.
12. I saw and met a lot of guys that were around when the SEC was born. Great to see guys getting back into it.
13. I'll be back again next year.

1. Two weeks after the event I'm still fighting poison ivy/oak. After a shot, I'm on a steroid pack and a special cream to help dry it out. From my knees down they are blistered and red. I must have got in the same patch that 87Manche did years ago.

Whew, glad I'm not alone. It's finally easing up on me. It was mostly on my ankles though. Still itches but not blistering anymore. I'm on the home stretch.

I'm about 90% certain that I picked it up in LRG.

The only place I remember getting into anything is at the Train Shed and the Hawkeye Overlook. I dunno but I've burned through almost two bottles of Ivy Dry, half bar of some soap that was supposed to help, a steroid shot I got 8 days ago, and now the cream and pills. At least it isn't itching as bad, it just looks bad....really bad.

I love reading these , hopefully I can make this event in the next year or two .

Back