• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HD 231 Shift Linkage (Auto Trans) from Boostwerks!

Re: HD 231 TC shift linkage from Boostwerks!

The drive train is in the truck. It is using a XJ transfer shiter and a XJ 231 case. The only difference is the 231 is roughly 3" further towards the rear of the truck.

I wonder if I could get your kit and a longer piece of all thread to make up the difference?

I just ordered one of these kits for my '01 XJ. Looking forward to seeing the difference in shifts on my 231.

The drive train is in the truck. It is using a XJ transfer shiter and a XJ 231 case. The only difference is the 231 is roughly 3" further towards the rear of the truck.

I wonder if I could get your kit and a longer piece of all thread to make up the difference?

That should work. The thread spec is 3/8"-24. That was actually one of the reasons we didn't go with a turn buckle.

I just ordered one of these kits for my '01 XJ. Looking forward to seeing the difference in shifts on my 231.

Ordered as well. Hope these are easy to install

Thanks again guys!

:cheers:

Sold!

Just curious, time frame for 242 shifter kit?
Also, if one were to purchase this kit, how much more would it be to buy the ëxtra piece?

Just curious, time frame for 242 shifter kit?
Also, if one were to purchase this kit, how much more would it be to buy the ëxtra piece?

The parts are at the plater now, so I'd say a couple weeks and we should be good to go. The 242 kits will go for 45.95 which accounts for the added tab and additonal hardware. So for just the tab and additional hardware it would be $8 + $5.25 for shipping.

I also need to mention that if you have a TC drop, you will need the 242 kit! This is simply due to the change in geometry due to the drop.

Ha, i used the same linkages for my shifters i made for my doubler setup. They work pretty good, shifts nice and solid.
9365546257_9ef35780d9_c.jpg

Last edited:

Installing this on my 89 xj w/5 speed.
anyone have a problem with the threaded rod being too long?
I have the tcase lever in 2wd and the ends of the boostwerks linkage threaded all the way in and the only way it will fit is if I move the lever to 4hi
Want to make sure before I cut a half inch of the threaded rod..... (shouldnt have too)

Installing this on my 89 xj w/5 speed.
anyone have a problem with the threaded rod being too long?
I have the tcase lever in 2wd and the ends of the boostwerks linkage threaded all the way in and the only way it will fit is if I move the lever to 4hi
Want to make sure before I cut a half inch of the threaded rod..... (shouldnt have too)

The linkage is universal for the XJ with multiple transmission combo's over the years. YES some applications will need to shorten the threaded rod, while most will have absolutely no issue. I will be sure to add a disclaimer to the website. I have no plans on offering the kit with several different lengths of threaded rod.

Email's and PMs work better BTW. I work 50hrs a week directing a very loud and busy fab shop (in addition to Boostwerks). :)

My time is just as valuable as yours and it wouldve saved me alot of time if the directions wouldve reflected the need to cut a kit that is advertised as plug and play....

Had to cut an inch off the threaded rod to get it to fit.PITA

Ive got it in the rearmost hole on the shift tab per instructions....
Shifted fine all the way from 2hi down to 4lo...

Then tried to shift back up to 2hi and its STUCK IN 4lo!!
Toyed with adjustment for close to an hour....

Got pissed and closed the garage down and came inside to make this post for advice.

Building the linkage in my other project car, I ran into a similar issue.
The solution was to play with placement of the link rod so that I had push / pull forces (pardon me as I stretch my vocabulary) at a tangent to the shift arm's radius. In other words, you want force moving around the edges of the circle - not trying to fight through the center of the shift arm, where it just binds against the pivot.
Maybe a more succinct way to put it is this: get under there. Look at the shift tab on the transfer case & the linkage on it. Now picture the radius of the circle traced by turning the shift tab on it's shaft. Move the linkage rod onto whatever mounting hole is closest to the circumference of that circle. If, in 4lo or 2hi, the linkage rod is too close to 9'oclock or 3'oclock it will bind, and you need to get creative with the shift tab. Flip it, modify it, whatever.

Had to cut an inch off the threaded rod to get it to fit.PITA

Ive got it in the rearmost hole on the shift tab per instructions....
Shifted fine all the way from 2hi down to 4lo...

Then tried to shift back up to 2hi and its STUCK IN 4lo!!
Toyed with adjustment for close to an hour....

Got pissed and closed the garage down and came inside to make this post for advice.

Refund sent. :cheers:

Building the linkage in my other project car, I ran into a similar issue.
The solution was to play with placement of the link rod so that I had push / pull forces (pardon me as I stretch my vocabulary) at a tangent to the shift arm's radius. In other words, you want force moving around the edges of the circle - not trying to fight through the center of the shift arm, where it just binds against the pivot.
Maybe a more succinct way to put it is this: get under there. Look at the shift tab on the transfer case & the linkage on it. Now picture the radius of the circle traced by turning the shift tab on it's shaft. Move the linkage rod onto whatever mounting hole is closest to the circumference of that circle. If, in 4lo or 2hi, the linkage rod is too close to 9'oclock or 3'oclock it will bind, and you need to get creative with the shift tab. Flip it, modify it, whatever.
yea I was under there today trying different mounting holes and had thought about the geometry being off and the forces of leverage at different points
Still wont shift outta 4lo...it shifts into 4hi and into 4lo like butter but when trying to get out of 4lo its bound....as soon as I crawl under there I easily move the tab at the tcase outta 4lo

So freakin in for the 242 version.

Back