• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB Radio & Antenna Mount Photos - Post Up

GhostDakota

NAXJA Forum User
Just post up for your photos.. I'm always interested in seeing how others mount their CB's. Thanks to Begster for the idea on my current mounting setup which works very well:

Current (Antenna):

232135279-L.jpg

236226029-L.jpg

236226039-L.jpg

236226048-L.jpg

Former (Antenna & radio):

CB_0021.sized.jpg

CB_0031.sized.jpg

In his defense, there is only so much you can cover about mounting CBs and antennas. Instead of digging up old threads, sometimes you have to start a new one to get some fresh ideas and input.

Besides, I'll take any opportunaty to show off some of my install work! So here's mine!

Here are some pics of my install. I decided to use the cigerett lighter space for the plug, which worked out really well cuz I used the power and ground from the lighter. I may try to make some sort of bezel for the plug to make it look more OEM. Oh, one thing I should point out is Cobra screwed up the plugs for the handset and hideaway module. To make it easier, you need to switch the plugs around.

cb1.JPG

cb2.JPG

Some of the antenna. Write-up here
antenna13.JPG

antenna12.jpg
[/

Last edited:
We don't need no stinkin radio antenna!

I've been meaning to get a second mounting OEM bracket for the other side or put in a "hidden" antenna, just haven't got around to it. I listen to my Garmin most of the time anyway (while she does talk sexy to me, it also plays MP3s)

splitz said:
In his defense, there is only so much you can cover about mounting CBs and antennas. Instead of digging up old threads, sometimes you have to start a new one to get some fresh ideas and input.

Besides, I'll take any opportunaty to show off some of my install work! So here's mine!

Here are some pics of my install. I decided to use the cigerett lighter space for the plug, which worked out really well cuz I used the power and ground from the lighter. I may try to make some sort of bezel for the plug to make it look more OEM. Oh, one thing I should point out is Cobra screwed up the plugs for the handset and hideaway module. To make it easier, you need to switch the plugs around.

Some of the antenna. Write-up here

[/

i gotta say i'm diggin this concept. hmmmm.......

1 ? though.....how sturdy is it once it's mounted ? will it hold up to trees on the trail etc....?

and where is the c.b. ? Edit: oops, just noticed its one of those in the mic jobbies.

splitz said:
We don't need no stinkin radio antenna!

I've been meaning to get a second mounting OEM bracket for the other side or put in a "hidden" antenna, just haven't got around to it. I listen to my Garmin most of the time anyway (while she does talk sexy to me, it also plays MP3s)

I need an antenna! My garmin gets on my damn nerves runnin its mouth all time! It stays muted while I run my ipod thru my radio.

wow, i really like the lighter idea. ive wanted a cb in my jeep for a long while now but every other install i have seen makes it look too cluttered up front. nice job

I can't take all of the credit. I got the idea of using the Cobra 75 from 53guy, and the antenna mount from Sting25.

As far as sturdiness, the antenna is a fiberglass whip, that gets whipped around pretty good. I could have also used a spring base, but I found that the flex antenna works good enough.

1996cc said:
You've been around here long enough to know there are MANY threads already that already asked for the exact same thing.

I figured I'd start a new one. People are changing CB's constantly. If you do a search for CB radio's, there's only a couple posts, most aren't recent (or are locked). I did my installation due to a reply in a similar thread that got locked, so if that helped me, this can help others as well IMO.

i'll post some pics when i get back into town but it's up top between the visors.

its a nice spot for it keeps it out of the way and very audible.

the antenna i just ran an angle bracket off the rear quarter by the hatch and a spring. that way i could tether it forward to the rack that i dont have yet. (for parking in the garage)

I don't leave mine in all of the time. I have a mag mount antenna that I throw on the roof when I go wheeling and I cram the radio between the passenger seat and the center console. Stays put good enough and it's easy as pie to yank it out when I don't need it. (so it won't get stolen)

does anyone know of a bracket to mount the cb antenna to the rear taillight? i've seen them made for explorers not sure on an xj, where would one suggest an easy mount? bumper?

Is that a ZJ?

Yes, I too enjoy showing my Jeep when I can. As said in the first post, my CB is in the same place Ghostdakota mounted his, here is the 2nd, and final location of my antenna.
DSCN1063.jpg

splitz said:
I can't take all of the credit. I got the idea of using the Cobra 75 from 53guy, and the antenna mount from Sting25.

As far as sturdiness, the antenna is a fiberglass whip, that gets whipped around pretty good. I could have also used a spring base, but I found that the flex antenna works good enough.
In the write up you said you don't know how well it really works, any ideas on how well it works now? Also what length antenna are you using?

It should work, at least better than the rear mounted ones as it has more flat surface to work with than them.

Tenny said:
In the write up you said you don't know how well it really works, any ideas on how well it works now? Also what length antenna are you using?

It should work, at least better than the rear mounted ones as it has more flat surface to work with than them.

Even though I've been running it for a few months now, I don't really and truly know how good it its because I don't have anything to compare it to. I've never really tested it with a known good setup on the other end. The few times I have used it has been on the trail, and I've been able to talk to the leader from the rear.

I'm using a Wilson Flex-4.

I should point out that I can make things look pretty, even if I have no f'n clue what I'm doing...which is the case here.

Back