• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adopt-a-Road...

Hypoid

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
We have given up the adoption of Kingston Peak, and adopted Saxon Road/Cascade Creek (F.S. 712 & 710).

What we gain is more diverse terrain and more opportunities for dispersed camping and dispersed shooting (after we take off our volunteer hats :) ). Another factor is that we don't have to wait until mid-July for the trail to open.

For the people who know the area, the switchbacks above Georgetown are not Forest Service property, and not part of the adoption. The Forest Service boundary is above the rock slide on that side of the mountain.

Saxon%20Snip.png

No, we have not discussed a date.

I have run this trail system as early as father's day. Maybe, scheduling the day after the Spring Creek run would allow members who live further away to spend Saturday night, and run the rest of the mountain on Sunday. :dunno:

Or, we could always start a poll. :)

Spring creek is on my list for this year, but I doubt I will get time off for it...

How challenging is this trail for a more or less stock XJ? ~2" lift and 30's, open diffs. Interested in finding more dispersed camping I can get to in this, that minivans and priuses (prii?) cannot.

BlacknBlue_XJ said:
How challenging is this trail for a more or less stock XJ? ~2" lift and 30's, open diffs

Challenging enough to be fun. :)

I ran this trail with about the same combo for a number of years. The only thing you did not mention was being able to disconnect the sway bars. That smooths the ride over most of the bumpy areas.

I have seen a number of stock, full size trucks run this trail without any real difficulty. I would discourage someone with AWD from trying this trail. I have never seen a Subaru at the top, much less a minivan. :D

Challenging enough to be fun. :)

I ran this trail with about the same combo for a number of years. The only thing you did not mention was being able to disconnect the sway bars. That smooths the ride over most of the bumpy areas.

I have seen a number of stock, full size trucks run this trail without any real difficulty. I would discourage someone with AWD from trying this trail. I have never seen a Subaru at the top, much less a minivan. :D

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I'll get some disconnects ordered up. I voted July 9-10 to give them time to come in. Also want to get my tranny cooler in and gauge plumbed.

So, I've done a few trail maintenance days for mountain bike/hiking trails. I assume this is more of the same (moving rocks, fixing drainage, re-routing, placing signage, etc), but wider?

I also take it there will be dispersed camping on the trail we're working on. Just want to make sure I can plan on it with the mentions of the trail opening in July. Not sure what adoption entails.

I also take it there will be dispersed camping on the trail we're working on. Just want to make sure I can plan on it with the mentions of the trail opening in July. Not sure what adoption entails.

Yes, there is dispersed camping. There are downloadable MVUMs here: http://staythetrail.org/index.php?o...ayout=category&task=category&id=18&Itemid=222

I know some people have done an overlay on their GPS maps. I don't have a GPS yet, so I'm still using paper maps.

We don't have any work scheduled for this run. We will pick up litter and fill out the trail monitor form. The main thing to remember as a Forest Service Volunteer, is to be safe and work within your Forest Service qualifications.

After we take off our volunteer hats, we can enjoy other legal, and acceptable activities. I have run this trail system for about 10 years. I haved spied some cool camping spots, shooting spots, and historical sites to explore. :)

Last edited:
NAXJA%20poster_zpsd45jjjuq.jpg

:)

Last edited:
Tic-toc, tic-toc...

Back