• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not running at idle...

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, had the jeep sitting in the yard all summer, maybe about 4 months now, i fired it up maybe once every week or every other week, and it eventually wouldnt turn over (dead battery), so i put a battery tender on it and it would fire up but slowly, when it did, if i let off the gas to try and let it idle, it would die shortly after. So anyways, i assumed after searching this problem here that it was just a bad battery. I just bought an optima red top and it no longer needs the battery tender obviously, but for some reason it didnt fix my stall problem...initially it did...i let it warm up and didnt have to keep the throttle up....so i thought i was set...but after driving it around for maybe 5 minutes...i was back to the same problem. What should the next step be, TPS maybe? Any ideas much appreciated.

You could also have a lot of condensation in the tank and have contaminated the fuel.

xjtrailrider said:
Check the air filter box and make sure that nothing has made nest in there that may be blocking air flow.
agreed ..and the fuel issue to ....gas does go bad ya know ..hope ya didnt clog anything up ...get out the cleaning stuff..start cleaning also with winter comming ..check your heater to ..make sure its not all blocked up ..mice make nasty nests ..and can cause fires

Could be a sticky IAC, a little extra juice from a new battery helped some but not for long. The junk that collects in the IAC (piston and seat), gets pretty thick and crusty.
Try squirting a little penetrating oil into the IAC opening on the inside of the TB, with the motor running. Works for me. I do it periodically to avoid problems.

is the IAC easily noticable when i'm looking inside the TB? I already went through everything in regards to having nests and wires chewed through. I thought about he fuel issue....but my question on that one is, if it was a fuel issue, wouldnt it cause problems even when i'm on the gas? Once i'm rolling and my RPM's are up, there is no problem. I'll try the IAC tonight. Thanks for the suggestions.

Back