• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon trail August 7th - August 9th

#S194

FMR SIERRA CHAPTER HMFIC
NAXJA Member
This year, we are planning to include a run through the famous Rubicon Trail as part of Sierra Fest. Here's the tentative schedule:

Aug 6th (Sun) - camping at Loon Lake for those interested.

Aug 7th (Mon) - 9am group meeting at Loon Lake trail head, tech inspection + trail prep, start trail. Drive approximately 1/2 of trail and camp at Buck Island Lake.

Aug 8th (Tue) – We can spend a free day at Buck Island Lake, giving everyone a chance to relax, hike, fish, swim, fix your jeep, run Old Sluice, etc. The other option would be dive drive a short portion of the trail to Rubicon Springs. Camping at the Springs costs $20 per rig.

Aug 9th (Wed) - finish trail out to Tahoe. If doing option (a) above we will stop briefly at the Springs for lunch. Those of us planning to attend the 2nd half of Sierra Fest will most likely spend the night in South Lake Tahoe, as has been done in years past. The group has stayed at the Super 8 motel which is walking distance to restaurants and a Laundromat.

Aug 10th (Thu) - restock supplies, and drive to Hermit Valley Campground.

VEHICLE REQUIREMENTS:
The following will apply to the Rubicon Trail:

- minimum tire size 33" and at least one locker
- spare tie rod if you are running stock steering (drag link also recommended)
- spare front axle shaft assemblies if you are running stock shafts
- spare rear shaft(s) if you are running stock shafts
- any other spare part you reasonably might need and tools needed to make the repair.

The Rubicon is a difficult trail and a long way from any service station.

Make sure your vehicle is in good running condition and any mechanical liabilities have been addressed prior to the event.

These requirements are so that you and the entire group can have a good experience at Sierra Fest, but more importantly so that we all return home safely.

It should not . Mr Ed used to run one

I read a road condition report for hwy 4. It stated that hwy 4 is closed from Lake Alpine to 7 miles west of the intersection of 395 due to construction. So this brings up some questions. If it is construction and not just snow removal then when will it be reopened? Will we be able to get to Hermit Valley for the camping? I'll be up at Lake Alpine the last weekend of July (without my heep) and may be able to learn more then. Has anybody heard if this is just snow removal or was there road damage to hwy 4, like so many of the other roads around CA, from this past winter? Anyway, just thought I'd pass on the info.

I read a road condition report for hwy 4. It stated that hwy 4 is closed from Lake Alpine to 7 miles west of the intersection of 395 due to construction. So this brings up some questions. If it is construction and not just snow removal then when will it be reopened? Will we be able to get to Hermit Valley for the camping? I'll be up at Lake Alpine the last weekend of July (without my heep) and may be able to learn more then. Has anybody heard if this is just snow removal or was there road damage to hwy 4, like so many of the other roads around CA, from this past winter? Anyway, just thought I'd pass on the info.

I'm hoping to take a drive up there in the next couple weeks. Hope its just construction, as I have not heard of any damage to the highway.

I was looking at the Alpine County Sheriff's facebook page and there are some pictures of the road work being done. In one area it looks like they've dug down about 10 to 15 feet below the normal grade of the road. I tried to call the sheriffs office to see if they knew when the road might re-open. And, of course, they told me that Caltrans hasn't given them any information about that repair work. I thought I'd try to contact Caltrans district 10 offices to see if I can get some info. I'll post up any info I am able to get.

I be working most of those days. Can't take time off with the new house payment. And my rig is trailer queen for now.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Who else will be on the Rubicon Portion of the Trip ?

So far :
Eric
Twin Hauler
Lou
Gordon
Me
Alan
Chip Chip
SDspearo
The Weirdo

So thats 9 Rigs, is anyone else running the Rubicon ?

Last edited:
Just an fyi I will have to leave early am Wednesday to grab my kid from carson city then head to hermit Thursday. So if we camp at springs Tuesday night that would be sweet :)

Just an fyi I will have to leave early am Wednesday to grab my kid from carson city then head to hermit Thursday. So if we camp at springs Tuesday night that would be sweet :)

Yeah I was wanting to try to make it to the springs Tuesday myself.

I know a lot of us are staying at the Motel 6 in tahoe that weds night, FYI guys. I grabbed a room with 2 beds in case someone forgets to book one they can have the second bed as a worst case scenario.

Last edited:
Count me in for camping at the Springs...gotta try that rope swing again.

I plan to bring a small propane grill too that people can use.

Back