• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission cooler and filter install

Talyn

NAXJA Forum User
I decided I wanted to revise my original transmission cooler install as I didn't like the tight bends that some of the hoses were making plus some of the hoses were old and starting to crack. I also didn't like the fact that the cooler was on the driver side in front of the electric fan.

I used Parker 836-6 (the -6 means An-06) and Jegs Push-loc AN-06 fittings. The 836 hose only comes in blue, is compatible with transmission fluid, and is rated to 302*F and 400PSI. I cut the quick disconnects and factory hoses off the hard tube and had a hose shop flare the tube for the AN fittings. The push-loc is no joke. Its not exactly push. Its more like heat up hose in hot water, lube barb and push with all you got. Doing it with a cold hose is a really really really bad idea. Russell, Jegs, Parker and Aeroquip all have their own versions of the push style fittings. I know that Russell and Jegs are pretty much the same things and both take the parker hose. Aeroquip hose is a bit different from what I have seen of it, but may still work with the Parker hose. I needed to use the fuel injection style hose clamps as the standard clamps would cut the hose. The red collars are supposedly just cosmetic, but I feel that they to put some tension on the hose. I did keep the factory push on fitting at the radiator only because i didn't feel like buying a new radiator now. Maybe in the future that will change. The fluid flows as follows: Out transmission --> Filter --> Tru-Cool cooler --> stock cooler --> transmission. I will later install a temp gauge. The cooler is mounted to the front cross member and radiator header panel using steel flat stock. I did not want to use the nylon zip tie type mounts through the radiator. I used them once on fan and it caused a leak in the radiator after a few thousand miles. No leaks so far and I'll post here if there are any problems.

The only thing that I don't like is the factory quick disconnect on the radiator and the barbs on the cooler. I would have liked to use a cooler with an AN fitting, but the ones that came with the AN fitting were either too small (WxH) or too thick. I did also position the filter mount a not exactly where it should have been as I had to cut away part of the fan shroud to get the shroud to fit. Its not an problem though as fan blade is still a long away from the hitting the filter mount though.

Some info on the hose:
http://www.parker.com/portal/site/P...nextdiv=&vgnextcatid=5927&vgnextcat=836&Wtky=

P1220409.jpg

P1220412.jpg

P1220414.jpg

P1220424.jpg

P1220743.jpg

P1220747.jpg

P1220749.jpg

P1220756.jpg

I used the following parts:
All fittings are -06AN
1x Jegs 45* hose end; 100061
3x Jegs straight hose end; 100051
1x Jegs 90* hose end; 100071
1x Aeroquip 90* flare union; FCM2190
2x Jegs AN flare union; 110202
2x Jegs 3/8" NPT to AN adapter; 110106
1x Derale 3/8" NPT left port filter mount; 25750
1x Mobile 1 M1-204 filter (same as engine is using the smaller filter)
1x Tru-Cool LPD 4544 9.5"x11x.75" 3/8" barb cooler
~7' Parker 836-6 hose

Running through the stock cooler will keep your trans temps in the 180~190 that the radiator runs at, isn't the external cooler in place to lower temps to around 160 or are you just trying to increase fluid capacity?

I run an external cooler slightly smaller than yours and it keeps me in the 160~170 range with the stock cooler bypassed, I originally had it routed as you do and my temps only averaged a ten degree drop.

I have my cooler in the same location minus the filter, I run B&M trick shift synthetic fluid and I love the way my AW4 acts now. It always shifts smooth regardless of the conditions and I'm far more confident in the transmission now.

I'm not nocking your work at all, I've followed your other work and am always impressed I'm just pointing it out because I did the exact same thing you did and I think you'll probably come to the same conclusion I did. I moniter my temps with an autometer trans temp gauge by the way.

Regardless of my opinion, great work!

Kelvin

You don't want to run just the aux cooler in a colder climate. You could possibly run too cold. In Florida you would be fine with just the aux cooler.

I made the brackets to attach the cooler to the cross member back when I did the original install. I just had to modify them slightly for the other side.

Jeep_Frontless.jpg

I noticed today that my hoses are leaking again due to the clamps cutting the hoses, so I will probably have to follow the same route that you took. If I can't find anyone to flare my lines for the AN fittings, what are my options?

You don't want to run just the aux cooler in a colder climate. You could possibly run too cold. In Florida you would be fine with just the aux cooler.

I made the brackets to attach the cooler to the cross member back when I did the original install. I just had to modify them slightly for the other side.

How cold is too cold for the AW4?

I noticed today that my hoses are leaking again due to the clamps cutting the hoses, so I will probably have to follow the same route that you took. If I can't find anyone to flare my lines for the AN fittings, what are my options?
Most hose shops can do the flare for the AN fittings. IIRC the shop charged me $8 for the flaring and the fittings. And don't use the usual hose clamps.

How cold is too cold for the AW4?
I don't know but I do know that there have been several times where my engine temp has dropped close to 100* due to going down hill in cold weather.

Most hose shops can do the flare for the AN fittings.

That's the thing -- I've never heard of a "hose shop". I live in a communty of a few hundred people, and the town 10 miles away (where I was born and raised) has a population of 13,000. There certainly is no hose shop there. :gee:

I've used standard flaring tools before on brake lines. Do they make a tool I could buy to do my own flares for AN fittings?

Your right, I didn't take your location into consideration.

I've never even seen snow so what do I know?

How about this cooler with AN-6 fittings?

http://www.streetsideauto.com/produ...nt=GoogleShopping&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping

I don't know why the dimensions are incorrect in the ad. Flex-A-Lite's website lists it as 7.5" X 15" X .75".

I'd prefer a plate type, but would settle for tube and fin to get some decent fittings. My barb-type cooler I have now is leaking bad where the hoses attach -- and I used two hose clamps per connection.

Last edited:
Back