• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer mods

There isn't a "right" time but steel prices are not predicted to come down. The bad part is that will have to borrow a trailer to p/u my order when I could have used mine if it wasn't all cut apart for no reason now!

Even worse will be if you sit down and calculate the cost of building your own and then compare it to the cost of just purchasing a new trailer.

I already did but since I "opened the door" and stepped in early, my investment was already heavy so I was committed by then!

Just paid the invoice, not to bad at $1600 for 4pcs of 4" channel, 1 pc of 2x4x.188, 1 pc of 2x3x.120, and 2 sheets of 1/8" diamond plate.

I got a clue as to about how much the trailer will weigh, I'm not going to use it all (I needed the length) but the loading weight was 1041lbs.

I got lucky, they had the load already on a truck for delivery to the shop so I talked them into dropping at the house instead!
P1090100.JPG

Like a lot of projects "it's 2 steps forward, and one step back". Sunday I cut the pieces that I could to get started with pre-priming (weldable) and some lay-out work based on what I had drawn up. I then realized that I hadn't accounted for wanting to move the axles forward 6", so back to the drawing board!
P1090101.JPG

I've got material orders coming in everyday but I am getting going. Got the welding jig out and started tacking it all together.
P1090102.JPG

P1090103.JPG

I got all the welding done on the frame (except the tongue) and started on tweaking all the springs hangers in to place.
P1090105.JPG

P1090104.JPG

I haven't received my coupler yet but I started mocking up the tongue to determine the length and because I need the angles to miter both the 4" channel and the 2"x4"x.188 tube.
P1090107.JPG

Received my tongue jack today, it should handle the weight !!!
P1090108.JPG

It's time to get back to work, I just received my Bulldog hitch (2-5/16" ball/12,5000 lb). I couldn't meet the 50* A-frame design so I went with the 3" straight coupler.
P1090109.JPG

Yesterday got slowed way down by my decision on how to mate up the tube with the channel. I was originally going to miter everything and use weld plates (fast/easy), but I decided to cope the joints instead (long/tedious).
P1090110.JPG

P1090111.JPG

P1090112.JPG

Long and tedious tends to be the key to a better end result.

Nice work.

What is the plan for a finish on this?

If your asking about paint, it will be Rustoleum for sure but I'm thinking about Hammertone gray!

I got the basic frame done (still a couple of small things to do), but then I will flip it over and start on the top with the keyholes(6), diamond plate and all the coupler/tongue work. Can't say what I'll get done this week as we're headed for the Rubicon!
P1090113.JPG

P1090114.JPG

I was wondering if you were going to go whole hog and have it hot dipped.

A cousin of mine did that on a trailer he built. Given how trailers are typically treated it is a great way to go if you can afford it.

Early on I did think about powder coating! Living in AZ means no rust although we did give a "rat rod" look a thought to with just some satin clear after some applied patina.

Back