• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mods for the 35's

Jump This

Just another minion!
Forget the damn title, its only part of what is going on here.
I have Phat Jeeps canyon runner steering on my Cherokee. Love it. I'm not thinking I will ever break a tie rod on this one.
The question I have relates to ideal track bar/tie rod length.
I'm building an entire new track bar mount to reposition it. Havn't I heard or read that idealy they should both be the same length as well as running at the same angle?
The new tie rod is aprox. 35.5", and it appears as though the longest I can make my track bar is in the 31-32" range, mostly due to clearance issues when at full lock.
Have any of you run into the same problem?
I don't think there are any options, but before I cut up my track bar I should bounce this off of the other fab guys here.
I have some picts of YELLAHEEP's set up (the same Phat Jeeps kit) and he just cut down his track bar after installing JKS's track bar relocator bracket, leaving a shorter track bar.....
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.....
Rick

yes the ideal setup is to have the tie rod and tracbar the same length and angle, if they are not the same you will get bumpsteer. if it is a trail only rig w/ very little high speed wheeling i would say you wont have any major problems.

u might not even have a problem in highspeed stuff because 3.5" doesn't sound like a whole lot but i really don't know about that

DAMN IT!!!
I cought the mistake too late to edit it.
But yeah, I meant drag link, track bar.
But you get the picture don't you?
Sorry for the brain fade, its been a long day in the garage.
Two Cherokees and two buggies....:banghead:

My GAWD after re-reading my post....I should just close down the garage AND the computer for the night.....

Last edited:
Yes, idealy they should be the same length, but in the "real" world there aren't many that are. If you're building a new mount than try to get them close, but don't concern yourself too much if you can't get it there. As long as there on the same plane at ride height I doubt that you'd even be able to notice any bump steer. I need to remeasure, but I think I'm around 3.5" to 4" off between the length of my trackbar & draglink on my JD & it drives very nice... The CAT's Tbar & Dlink are exactly the same & it baja's as fast as the 6 squirrels under the hood will pedal...

I'm sitting at about 4.5" difference in length and notice no real bumpsteer at all. Get it as long as you can within what clearance allows and keep the angle the same, you will be fine.

You can sorta see the trackbar here, it's hiding behind my draglink.

2006-01-17_040.jpg

Like others have said, make the track bar as long as you can and be sure the angle of the track bar is the same as the drag link at ride height and you will be fine. I have done two different steering setups on my XJ (first with the D30, and a new one with the D44) and by getting the track bar as long as possible and same angle as the drag link, I have had no problems. I daily drive my XJ and bomb it along fire roads and large open trails chaising the guys from the club in thier buggys, and have yet to see bump steer or any problems associated with the steering, also I havent run a steering stabilizer in years, as I have yet to see the need.

AARON

Just got back from a bomber run to check out the new set-up.
Works GREAT!!
I got the angles right but the length is still 3" or so off and I can't notice anything I would complain about.
Thanks for the help.
...now off to deal with the rear axel wrap problem.....

Rick

Rick,

Here is a pic of mine when I had the 44 on
FileHandler.ashx

The red lines show how parallel and close in length the drag link and panhard bar were. (Zero noticable bump steer).

cracker said:
Rick,

Here is a pic of mine when I had the 44 on
FileHandler.ashx

The red lines show how parallel and close in length the drag link and panhard bar were. (Zero noticable bump steer).

Where did your 44 end up anyway?
I might be needing one soon.
:D
Rick

Jump This said:
Where did your 44 end up anyway?
I might be needing one soon.
Rick

A nice guy in Fresno with a TJ got it off of me.

I know when you see my 609 tomorrow, you'll be in love :D

cracker said:
A nice guy in Fresno with a TJ got it off of me.

I know when you see my 609 tomorrow, you'll be in love :D

You should be glad that I won't have a place to stash it when I leave
Troy's house. Otherwise you might be missing one 609!!
But, I still feel the need to do my OWN welding.
Okay, so I am looking forward to seeing it out on the trail with those 42's.
BTW, have you figured out what kind of turning problems you will run into with those massive meats?
Rick

Jump This said:
You should be glad that I won't have a place to stash it when I leave
Troy's house. Otherwise you might be missing one 609!!
But, I still feel the need to do my OWN welding.
Okay, so I am looking forward to seeing it out on the trail with those 42's.
BTW, have you figured out what kind of turning problems you will run into with those massive meats?
Rick

Well, after some calculations, it looks like I may rub the LCAs a tiny bit when flat (I did on my 37s).

My old axle was 62.5" wide and this axle is 66" wide so that helps plus I pushed my axle forward two more inches so that'll help too. I may push it out an extra inch (for a total of three) as well if I rub (much).

Last edited:
Jump This said:
I hope I get the first shot at buying that beat up POS!
;)

Rick

Snap!

cal said:
I'm sitting at about 4.5" difference in length and notice no real bumpsteer at all. Get it as long as you can within what clearance allows and keep the angle the same, you will be fine.

You can sorta see the trackbar here, it's hiding behind my draglink.

2006-01-17_040.jpg

whoa, a picture of Cal's rig on a trail? no way! :D :D

Back