• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear axle shock mount removal

tdr1213

NAXJA Forum User
Replacing the rear axle shock mounts with the short JKS's. What's the best way to get 'em off? BFH and cold chisel, cutting wheel, or what?

A Plasma cutter and grinder would be best,otherwise just the grinder!Also make sure you do the math before relocating the mounts!

RCP Phx said:
A Plasma cutter and grinder would be best,otherwise just the grinder!Also make sure you do the math before relocating the mounts!

About the math. I thought the new mounts would go in the same spot as the old ones. I will have to rotate them slightly because of the 4* shim I needed to correct my pinion angle. Are there other considerations I need to be aware of? Can you be more specific on the math you referred to?

thanks

tdr1213 said:
About the math. I thought the new mounts would go in the same spot as the old ones. I will have to rotate them slightly because of the 4* shim I needed to correct my pinion angle. Are there other considerations I need to be aware of? Can you be more specific on the math you referred to?

thanks
You need to check your shock travel so you dont bottom out the shocks by moving the mount up!

Sawzall and grinder are my tools of choice. When you mount the new ones, just be sure the mounting posts are perpendicular to the shock. You will need shorter shocks, or longer bumpstops.

Back