• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to PNW with new XJ

moparmansfield

NAXJA Forum User
Hey yall. Moved up here (Portland Area) last year and just got myself back into an XJ. Have had a few XJ's and Mj's and a ZJ over the years and was semi-active in the Sierra Chapter.

Picked up a unicorn 99 2 door 5 speed in the blue/slate color. Was looking to see if anyone recognized it. Looks like it was initially built up about a decade ago, and it's a little beat-up but has good bones. I'll get some pics up here later to see if anyone recognizes it. It has about 6.5" long arm lift, Rustys steering/suspension parts, warn bumpers, 4.10 gears, fiberglass front fenders. Roof rack.

Been itch'n to go explore the PNW trails and plan to be out there shortly and definitely open to joining some trips.

OaCXTBl.jpg

35's swapped for 33's (measure out at 32").

Roof rack delete (I never use them).

All new brakes front and rear.

Stinkyfab motor mounts (tranny mount to come in future)

Tons of random repairs.

Now looking for 4.5" lift coils and shocks to lower this thing down. Also installing the no-lift shackle boxes in back to try to keep the leafs that are back there now (might modify the leaf packs).

It's getting there. Goal is low, wide, and fast(ish).

The Jeep is doing well. Just got the "hurst" short shifter installed which fixed my first gear pop out issue, and the shifts are much more satisfying. The plastic bushing at the end of the stock shift rod was in pretty bad shape, so just replacing that probably made a big difference. Thinking about lowering it another inch, but that will probably come once I get myself into a house with a garage.

Have any of you guys installed a steering box brace like boostwerks or ironmans? If it actually makes a noticeable difference, I might pick one up soon. The battery is also on its last legs, so that plus a battery cable kit will be on the list for this winter as well.
79712098ec3dbcc9374cc7e7576f9dfd.jpg
199da19a6878fbdbb2be8819edff1783.jpg

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

I have the Ironman brace, and it does indeed tighten up some flex in the steering. I did however loose the ability to use the factory front skid, but I suppose it's enough steel that it proy provides similar protection.

I have the Boostwerks Comp mount with warn winch. Yes it tightened up the front but I don't know how it compares to anything else. I have video posted of the sector shaft movement before and after mounting the brace. It's somewhere in the modified threads. You can see why the movement can stress fracture the mounting.

Probably the Comp Mount is overkill for you. If the BW standard brace is just as beefy, you cant go wrong.

I have the Ironman brace, and it does indeed tighten up some flex in the steering. I did however loose the ability to use the factory front skid, but I suppose it's enough steel that it proy provides similar protection.

I haven't run a factory skid in years, but have thought about making one for fun out of flashing just for a bit of air deflection for highway use. Good to know about the Ironman brace, thanks

I have the Boostwerks Comp mount with warn winch. Yes it tightened up the front but I don't know how it compares to anything else. I have video posted of the sector shaft movement before and after mounting the brace. It's somewhere in the modified threads. You can see why the movement can stress fracture the mounting.

Probably the Comp Mount is overkill for you. If the BW standard brace is just as beefy, you cant go wrong.

I almost pulled the trigger on the comp mount but Dirtbound had a 25% off sale which made the stumpy winch bumper very affordable, so that's on there now. I will go look up that video - that's exactly what I'm looking for. I assume the BW and Ironman braces are very similar in function. There is one other brace I have my eye on since its much cheaper, the Kevin's Off-road one, and while it looks like it might get the job done, I'm probably leaning towards the more substantial units

I used a full traction Steering brace. It made a good difference. I would use a frame rail / unibody reinforcement as well. I was looking for the one I used. I think it was CRC.. but I couldn't find it. It went on both sides and did an excellent job of reinforcing the frame rail. There is always the possibility of it cracking down there. I welded it once.. with the plates and brace never had any other issues.

I haven't run a factory skid in years, but have thought about making one for fun out of flashing just for a bit of air deflection for highway use. Good to know about the Ironman brace, thanks

I almost pulled the trigger on the comp mount but Dirtbound had a 25% off sale which made the stumpy winch bumper very affordable, so that's on there now. I will go look up that video - that's exactly what I'm looking for. I assume the BW and Ironman braces are very similar in function. There is one other brace I have my eye on since its much cheaper, the Kevin's Off-road one, and while it looks like it might get the job done, I'm probably leaning towards the more substantial units

Here you go...https://vimeo.com/247893295

I had a Dirtbound steel steering spacer installed when I shot the video. 3/16" Bumper mounts on the other side. It still moved that much. No, my rails didn't crack but they sure would have eventually.

Video was taken in my driveway. I was too chicken to leave my gopro on for a drive. Would have been nice to have gotten the shot with stock spacer and 33's.

Here's a video of mine when parked and when driving. I didn't trust the gopro mount to stick enough to jump on the highway, got to about 45mph. What jumps out at me the most is how much the frame twists, causing the crossmember to twist. The box moves a good amount on frame as well. Yeah, I'll definitely be picking a brace up soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnU6xRgqM9k

Impressive amount of flex. I received an Ironman4x4fab steering box brace and track bar bracket brace last week. Hoping to have time to install this week.

Back