• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Racing against the grain

Currently mid stride in my manual swap. Clutch pedal is in, pilot bearing installed, flywheel and clutch/pressure plate is in. Transmission shifter is removed, NV3550 throughout bearing replaced.

Gonna have to modify my crossmember but shouldn't be too difficult.

Started last night and worked until 2am. Started shaking today at 11ish. I'm so driving this thing to sign up for college classes tomorrow.

fe3dadf0e5a4f8925a1771b8c10320a1.jpg

0b1908b6993101de5256074ab42a7a0f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might want to stay off the booger sugar :roflmao: Nice build too

Bahaha that made me laugh and thanks!

Totally had to ditch my crossmember plan. Trans mount location is way shorter than what I had. Gonna swap in a Rubicon Express crossmember and ditch the Clayton 3 piece. It was a good run.

Got the old crossmember brackets off. I'm going to have to make an adapter to accept the trans mount to the bottom of the transmission. Also drilled out the frame bolt holes for a 9/16 bolt.

40ce519f48deaa656e13eff162ebb525.jpg

ada35398bd36e68ce634451ab4735c23.jpg

Lots of progress. Here's the plan. Weld the long arm brackets to the frame. Machine new bosses to weld onto the brackets so the crossmember can bolt on securely and be very stout. Notch holes so bosses can fit into the frame.

Here's what I got done this weekend so far.
Made a new trans bracket and powder coated. Crossmember brackets with new bosses welded on. Frame holes plasma cut out. Transmission bracket installed.

9460afd3ba8f7485186afaaf945adb0f.jpg

45c737a7fefb371ba8cd8ddf0ca6b74d.jpg

14be845ac04e88c4e40e5f7c72c24be2.jpg

0427eab85c14826e2e07fb929289db67.jpg

The lovely windows cut into the frame will be thankfully covered up lol. You'd be surprised how many layers of unibody minus the stiffeners there are.

A lot of you are probably turning your head like what is this guy doin...

A lot of you are probably turning your head like what is this guy doin...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Hey, it's a great build and you are making good progress. I may wonder what you are doing but that is the beauty of a build thread. Please, carry on.

I enjoyed watching him wheel this thing in Harlan. Hopefully we can go again soon. I'm waiting for what happens next.

I enjoyed watching him wheel this thing in Harlan. Hopefully we can go again soon. I'm waiting for what happens next.

Hold my beer watch this.

Something that rhymes with rear traction bar is next. There will be no wasted torque when this swap is 100% finished.

And would ya look at that gents! This is what a diesel KJ NV3550 gives you. A free clocking. Transfer case is way out of the way. So much room for activities.

40b0496ec821f4f2bf8fd1b00aebc351.jpg

Veddy nice!

I spent a good amount of time trying to figure out what I need to do to be able to fire this bad boy up with a manual transmission. To make matters worse, I have a 2000. So computer wants to still do computer things with no AW4 attached to it. Like bro..where's my trans?

My research said you absolutely need to get a manual ECU since the transmission and engine are integral to each other and not like the OBD1 where they talk separate from each other. You cant just bypass the NSS like you can with OBD1 so they say. Because remember.."dude where's my trans?" - ECU.

Well how about you just keep your NSS....

6caaa9fd45a8a0bcec347e9b4286a94c.jpg

4367b5a539a61760a35505ee0139b23e.jpg

She fired right up without hesitation. I'm going to mount it and call it my Flux Capacitor.

This has convinced me to make a full on video in a very "me" fashion like I did with 06 4 liter swap about how to swap in a KJ NV3550. It really sticks with the theme we have going on here with this thread. It's Racing Against the Grain because I was going to race (still may) with people I definitely don't fit in with. I guess we can include doing things others don't normally do under that title. I mean I am mentally insane according to WebMD.

It fascinates me the lack documentation for technical information in real world application.

Standby internet.

Last edited:
This thing going to be ready for the open ride at the flats coming soon?

This thing going to be ready for the open ride at the flats coming soon?

That's my plan. I now need to stretch the rear end more to fit the old race jeep Ranger Shaft since my lengths are all jacked with such a short trans.

Also updated the post.

I stretched the rear an inch by drilling new centering pin whole on the leaf perches. Still not long enough to run the ranger driveshaft but we are +2" in the rear and +1.5" in the front.

I made a quick video of the project. Quite pleased with my simplistic approach. I'll probably make more videos like this, since it doesn't cost too much effort on my end. I am making manual swap video thats more involved. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t1HVm09TB0

Looks like that runaway tire was on a mission to find a new mate. How far did it make it?

:looney:

So when and where is the first wheeling trip?

Back