• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 Jeep Cherokee - Gear choice help!

diluted1

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone, I need some advice.

I own a 99 Cherokee SE 4.0 and I temporarily have it 3" over stock running 31/10.50 Firestone Dest. M/T. Its currently setup factory with D30/Chry. 8.25 with 3.08's
What I would like to get advice on is gear size. This is my daily driver and the biggest tire I would probably ever end up running on it would be probably a 33". I already know i going to go with detroits, but as far as a decent gear ratio, what would you all suggest?
Thanks for your help in advance and look forward to hearing from you.
Jason

Oh,.. it is a manual transmission, if that helps!

Last edited:
I have a 92 DD with the 5spd trans (ax15) 31" tires with 3.73's or 3.7? Wish I would have went to 4.10's. If you think you are going to go to 33" tires go to the 4.56 and save some $$$. Also try using the search option there are a lot of threads on this subject already.

Tim D

Thanks. Well I figured since this was his first post he didn't need his head bitten off. Also since there is a push for new members I didn't want to scare him away. You on the other hand with your massive post count...I will be watching for you!! LOL

Nate_Bob said:
That is the nicest way I've seen someone tell somebody to use the search.

About how much of a performance increase would there be from going to 3.55?? (Chrysler 8.25) gears to something like 4.11 or 4.56 with a LSD in the back. I have the 4.0 and AW4. In terms of performance i meant gas mileage, quarter mile etc.

BBeach said:
About how much of a performance increase would there be from going to 3.55?? (Chrysler 8.25) gears to something like 4.11 or 4.56 with a LSD in the back. I have the 4.0 and AW4. In terms of performance i meant gas mileage, quarter mile etc.
What size tires are you planning to run? JIM.

ILLXJ said:
What size tires are you planning to run? JIM.
For a little bit the 235/75R15 Duelers but in the future maybe something along the lines of a 32 or 33. As for right now, im curious as to a near stock performance gain as i would assume with larger tires like 33's you would just be driving back like stock. Just my guess at least.

I am running 4.56's & 33's. It seems to be about the same as stock, but that was a long time ago. I really liked the 4.56's & 31's. Deeper than stock but I got better mpg's. Wish I had 4.88's now. JIM.

What i was meaning to ask if the performance gains as far as quarter miles and such with 4.11's instead of 3.55's (which is what im pretty sure a Chrysler 8.25) has stock?

Sorry, I can't answer that. JIM.

Back