• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake lines

Pgw1995

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I just did a rear disc brake conversion on my 1998 XJ. I used the rear calipers off a salvaged 2004 WJ I picked up for the motor. Being an electrician in a machine shop we made all my brackets for mounting everything. My question is what size brake line would be best? They both had 3/16 line. The rear line coming from the master cylinder on my XJ must be stopped up because I'm not getting any fluid, so I think I'm going to go with braided line instead of the hard line. I was just wondering if anyone is a math wiz or has dealt with this before and could tell me what size to make the rear and if I need to change the front I will to get the fluid in the right place at the right time so maybe I won't have to mess with the prop valve. Thanks!!!!

The problem is that you're dealing with pressure, not flow. At the pressures we're talking about (<1000 psi), the fluid is incompressible and the "pressure wave" moves instantly through the system. For the purposes of this discussion, it won't make a difference what size brake line you put on there, it's not going to change much. On my 94, I simply swapped out the spring and "piston" in the distribution block with parts from a ZJ and I have awesome brakes, including in the snow. Some people don't do anything and still love it. Don't overthink it.

If your talking about the "hard" line that go's all the way from the front to the rear, that's a bad idea.

Not all the way. Just from where the hard line connects to the braided rubber line above the rear axle, unless I can’t find where my fluid is being held up. I think it is in the tee though. I have my rear lines unhooked, I can stomp the brake and not get a drop of fluid. I’ll find where it’s at this weekend. I guess I could have an issue with the master cylinder to. The brakes stunk when I started this project. I haven’t really gotten into the brakes yet, been on other parts. I have done a a total upgrade through the entire Jeep. From transmission, transfer case, gearing, all the way to speakers. Everything except inside the motor. Just like brakes, transmission lines and paint and I can back it out of the shop once again (hopefully) it hasn’t seen any sunshine in about 3 months. It’s time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you get this figured out?

Did you bleed everything hard line fittings banjos. The line of master cylinder.
I bett it's got air in it way ahead of the rear

Back