• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 Jeep Comanche for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Alright guys, I've had this thing on Craigslist a few times and thought about throwing it on eBay, but I am going to try it once here. I hate to get rid of it, but I've got some debt I need to pay off and this would help since I would be getting money and getting rid of a project. Pictures are at the bottom of the page if you want to just get to the good stuff. It does have black A/R Nitro wheels and chrome grille/bezels now, those are essentially the only differences. I can put the black grille and bezels back in if the buyer so desires.

I have for sale a 1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer. It was originally a 2wd truck and I went through all the steps of properly converting it to 4x4; I did it just like Jeep would have. Here is the list of specs for it.

Drivetrain
4.0L 6 cylinder engine-rumored to have been rebuilt, I don't know for sure-I put a 1996+ stamped steel valve cover and CCV lines on and deleted the EGR system-it runs great. The exhaust is being routed through a Flowmaster 40 with a custom bent tailpipe.
Peugeot BA/10 5 speed manual transmission-swapped in from a lower mileage Comanche with 125k-shifts good.
NP-231 21 Spline Transfer Case-from same Comanche as above-shifts good also.
Dana 30 front axle from 1991 Cherokee-3:55 gears-130,000 miles.
Chrysler 8.25 rear axle from 1999 Cherokee with DISK BRAKES-3:55 gears-70,000 miles on this one.

Suspension and Wheels/Tires
Rockkrawler 4.5" coils in the front
Spring over axle in the rear netting about 5" of lift-has 1996 Dodge Dakota brakeline which can handle mas flex.
Rusty's lower control arms
33x12.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws with less than 2000 miles on 15x8 A/R black Nitro wheels.
Corrected pinion angle when the spring over axle was done, very minimal vibrations if any.

Body
Originally it was Colorado Red, now it's Rustoleum Hammered Finish Silver/Black two tone-some areas look great others make it look like primer.
Trimmed fenders and bed up to body line and lined with Trim-Lok to eliminate sharp edges.
Factory rear sliding window
97+ Cherokee fenders/header panel with chrome grille and bezels-makes it look a lot cleaner in the front.
97+ Side Mirrors
Custom built front bumper with tow hoops built in.
AJ’s Offroad Armor custom built rear bumper with 2” receiver-great looks and quality!
I have done the removeable door modification, takes about 5 minutes to get doors off and on.
I had the carpet out when I did the 4wd swap, the floor pans had very little rust and looked nice and solid.

Interior
Cherokee leather seats from 1990 Limited.
97+ Cherokee console-built in cupholders, nicer looking all around than older consoles.
Woodgrain dash from a 94 Cherokee Country

Problem areas (if you want to call them that...)
In the body there are a couple dents. When I painted it, I eliminated the rust but I didn't bother filling in the dents because I don't like using bondo; I've seen it go wrong too many times. This being said, there were also a few very minor rust holes that I couldn't really do much about. Overall the thing still looks pretty good though.
The bed and the inside of the doors are still the original red. I was planning on lining the bed, I just never got around to it. I did however paint the door jambs to match the paintjob.
There is no headliner or trim in it right now but I will include all of that if it sells. The headliner is freshly recovered.
As you can probably tell from the pictures, it needs new wiper transmission bushings...the wiper elements were just replaced however, so they work great.
There are no swaybars on the truck either. Comanches never came with a rear one but the front has been taken off as well. After the lift, I have driven it down the highway a ton. I drove it without the swaybar for a long trip (200 miles each way) and I felt perfectly safe in it. It doesn't wander or wobble and the steering feels tight and proper. I would not plan on making this truck a daily driver, mainly because of the loud tires and size of lift, but it could be done.

Please don't hesitate to pm me if you have questions or are interested in it. I need $3000 the way it sets right now or $2400 without the Baja Claws.
Thanks,
Collin

Comanche101507005.jpg

Comanche101507004.jpg

100_1277.jpg

100_1278.jpg

MJShockMount.jpg

MJFlowmaster.jpg

MJTailpipe.jpg

Last edited:
POSJ said:
Good luck with the sale Collin, like I said before I would love to have it just don't have the cash.
Thanks man.

MiNi Beast said:
Nah, I'm a member of Comanche Club, I have pictures up in the projects section, but I haven't thrown it on their for sale yet. I know it makes purist guys like Eagle cringe to see pictures of big, chopped, spraypainted MJs like mine, that's why I figured I'd keep it on here. If it doesn't go on here though, I'll probably try it over on CC.

hope it sells for ya man, but not before Memorial Day..I wanna see you wheel it!

XJ&TJ4ME said:
hope it sells for ya man, but not before Memorial Day..I wanna see you wheel it!
Yeah I know, I'm hoping to wheel it once too, but at the same time, if I wheel it first, there's a good chance the body isn't going to be as prestine as it is right now :D.

I'll tell ya what, if ya scratch it I will buy you another can of hammered finish spray paint. ;)

XJ&TJ4ME said:
I'll tell ya what, if ya scratch it I will buy you another can of hammered finish spray paint. ;)
You're just saying that because you know it costs me next to nothing to buy the stuff :D.

Here are some updated pictures as of today...
MJwithNitros2.jpg

MJwithNitros3.jpg

MJwithNitros4.jpg

MJwithNitros5.jpg

MJwithNitros6.jpg

911xj/tj said:
nice rig, wish you were closer
Thanks, I put a lot of time in it. Really with a few very minor loose ends tied up, it would be a great rig that could get you to and through the trail.

IllianaXJ said:
Don't.... tempt.... me..... The wife would absolutely kill me. Freakin' sweet MJ, I miss my 90, never should have sold it.
Hey, hey, I'll meet ya halfway :D. Thanks for the compliment too.

Ya know and on a serious note...of all you guys that have posted thus far, is my $3000 price tag too high? I feel like with the time, effort and parts in and on this thing that it's about right especially with the almost brand new Baja Claws. If you guys think I'm out of line please tell me.

90PioSport99 said:
Hey, hey, I'll meet ya halfway :D. Thanks for the compliment too.

Ya know and on a serious note...of all you guys that have posted thus far, is my $3000 price tag too high? I feel like with the time, effort and parts in and on this thing that it's about right especially with the almost brand new Baja Claws. If you guys think I'm out of line please tell me.

No I think she is priced right, considering I have seen some stock comanches in MI go for around 2200. and I tought that was freaking crazy. You have a lot of the desirable upgrades, just have to wait for a good home that's all.

Ahh, come on Byron and buy it. Kim will be fine with it. It's just money, your gonna make more tomorrow. :D

Collin IMHO, the price is right and maybe a little lower than I would have expected. If $3000 falls out of the sky you will be my first phone call after that...

POSJ said:
Collin IMHO, the price is right and maybe a little lower than I would have expected. If $3000 falls out of the sky you will be my first phone call after that...
Haha good, glad to hear that man.

Well I have 3 different people tentatively interested in this thing so we'll see what happens.

hope one of them works out for ya. If the buyer does not want the claws, give me a shout, I might be interested in them.

Not to hijcak your thread, but the parts that we got friday fixed JR's brakes. Stops on a dime. Thanks for the hook up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back