• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 jeep cherokee what lift

sandblz

NAXJA Forum User
hi i have an 87 cherokee 4 door and i was looking into lifting it 4.5 i was interested in the rubicon express 6130 super flex and i was wondering what other lifts i might consider and were to get the best prices due to hard times i dont have much money. i dont want a crapy lift that im going to have to go back and redo in the next year. any suggestions? thank you

Ahhhh, the good old "I want a good 4.5" lift but don't have much money" line.

Truth is, you need to define "good". You can get your Jeep up 4.5" inches for $200. It will ride like crap and most likely break off-road, but you'll be lifted.

If you want to lift it properly so your ride is still good and it will perform well off-road, you'll need to spend at least $1000 if you buy new. Maybe $500 if you get good deals on used stuff.

You'll need:
Front coils
Rear leafs
Shocks
Extended swaybar links or discos
Adjustable upper and lower control arms, or get drop brackets
Extended brake lines
Adjustable track bar

And if you are really gonna wheel the thing and don't want to destroy your Jeep, you'll want:
Upgraded steering
Offroad bumpers
Rock sliders
Upgraded crossmember and maybe a TC skid
Upgraded U-joints in the axle shafts
And I won't even talk about lockers, gearing, axle upgrades, and all that good stuff

Oh, and I'm guessing you want new wheels and bigger tires too? ;)

It ain't cheap to do a Jeep right .... but it sure is FUN. Do your research, set a budget, and post pics!!!!!!

the key to a good 4.5" lift for not much cash is to seach on here. this has been covered eleventy billion times...!!!1

rough country great deal

I agree, thats about the best bang for your buck around. Make sure you get a kit with leaf packs! I would also suggest a SYE or at the very minimum a t-case drop. Sometimes you can get away without one but better safe than sorry! My 95 is lifted 3 inches and it doesn't vibe in town. Haven't had it on the highway yet since i have only had it a week and a half and its not plated! :D

Back